Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am back with more trouble, this 75 African Cichlid tank has been keeping me busy

A placed my second canister ( marineland 360, replaced o - ring) on the tank. 2 liter of seachem matrix, 500ml of Purigen, maybe 500mls of carbon (i just had some and figured id throw it in there), coarse and fine foam on the bottom tray.

I noticed that even the tank was hazy, figured maybe it was the matrix, although it was rinsed thoroughly. Performed a 50% water change.

This AM the tank was extremely cloudy. it is a dense white haze, does not look like algae.
Tests as follows
Ammonia 0
Nitrtite 0
Nitrate 5.
water temp is a little high at 81.5, you have to love Florida cold tap water.

I had mild ammonia spikes last week and i am thinking bacteria bloom?
https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=454815

only other thing of note is i have greatly reduced my photo period to only when viewing the tank.

Do you perform water changes with a bacteria bloom or leave as is?
any other thoughts?
Picture attached

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
It does sound like a bacteria bloom, although none of the things you mention should cause one. Let the bacteria colonize the filter if you are able to rule out rinsing of the media as the culprit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Leave it as is. I know this post is a good 3 days old by now so it should be cleared up. It looks exactly like a bacteria bloom and should have settled and cleared up by now.
Always practice patience. The last thing you want to do is go changing water and adding chemicals trying to correct it. Sometimes doing nothing is the best thing you can do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts