Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55g tank with sand substrate. I am running a dual Penguin Bio Wheel on one end of the tank and a single Penguin Bio Wheel filter on the other side of the tank. I let the tank cycle for 8 days and had crystal clear water. After adding 6 fish I immediately had cloudy water. Is it because they are digging in the sand and just kicking it up or something else. I have been in the hobby for 12 years and never had this problem before. Also I should add this is a first time using sand. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Well a normal cycle tanks alot longer than 8 days. Just running a tank with nothing in it won't cycle a tank. You need a source of ammonia for the benificial bacteria to feed on. (ie.. fish waste, uneaten food or if doing a fishless cycle using pure ammonia. Usually cloudy water in a new tank is a benificial bacterial bloom and is a good thing. Not sure why that would happen immediately. I also doubt its cause they are stirring up the sand. That would settle quickly. Just do regular, frequent water changes and check your water parameters often.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
when you say you let the tank cycle then added fish, does that mean there were not fish in when it was 'cycling'. if so it wouldn't have been cycling with no source of ammonia. as rgr points out a traditional cycle won't occur in 8 days unless you are boosting it with bacteria from an old filter, gravel, or supplement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts