Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and thank you in advance for the assistance.

I have a 75 all male cichlid tank.
Substrate: aragonite sand
Filtration: 1 pennplax 1000 cascade
1 pennplax 1000 canister filter
Undergravel jet system used sparingly to push detritus off bottom
Water Changes: at least 30 percent per week
Water Quality: very good. Ammonia 0, Nitrites: 0. Nitrates 40ppm or below, ph: 7.5 plus

Problem: Cloudy water

I have had the sand in the tank for over 5 months. For the first 3 months, the water was crystal clear. Now, except for the first 2 days after filter changes, the water is cloudy. I have tried black sponges covering filter intakes, running ug jet system all of the time, never, infrequently...

Suggestions: I really like the look of sand, but could change to different type. Is my filter setup wrong? Is my filter media hurting me?

It would be ideal to have a clear tank with all of the work I do to it,
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
when you say filter changes,can you elaborate,are you replacing the media?
not really familiar with those filters,but a quick search ,the canister turns over 270 gallons/hour,
what type of media are you using?
how many and how big are your fish,how often do you feed?how long has the tank been setup?

dont want to jump to any conclusions yet,but you may have disrupted your good bacteria in your filters,that is if its a relatively new setup,and you cleaned them out too good
also,depending on how many and big your fish are your filters might not be able to keep up

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Sounds like excess organics. Cleaning the filters reduces it temporarily. Possibly over feeding or too deep of a sand bed, or both. How deep is the sand? How many times per day are you feeding?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 14 cichlids, 2 all 4". 2 clown loaches and 2 small plecos. Sand is 3" deep w ug jets. I feed 2 x per day, lights are on 10 hrs per day. I do find sand in the filter media and at the bottom of the canister filter when I change filter media. Sand settled for over a week pre fish and tank was long cycled pre fish.

Re: the canister filter, does anyone have an optimum layering of media? I.e. Carbon, zeolite, ceramic rings, black filter, blue, white?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
3"of sand is a little much-what is the grain size?sounds like your ug jets are blowing it around-what type of sand is it?
how often do you change filter media,what are you replacing,to give you an idea,I run sponge,and efi-mech,rings,floss like batting,when I notice a loss of flow(around 6 months)I rinse all media with tank water and only replace the floss
another question how far off the sand is your filters intake?you say you put sponge over the intake though,so you shouldnt be getting any sand in your filter,unless the sand is really fine

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The grain size is extremely small, powder like it seems. Had I known then what I know now, I would have used pool filter sand. Is that what you use?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. End result to fix the problem was vacumming the sand and doing a 75% water change after doing that and getting rid of all the dead organics that were mixed into the sand my water has gone crystal clear and stayed that way for about 2 weeks now with no signs of clouding again. I have been doing 20% water changes vacumming the sand at two week intervals and the result is great. you can get the gravel and sand vacumm at most pet stores for around $15-20. Unless you want the more high tech systems
here is a link for the one I have now and it does a real good job. and was rather cheap.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... &lmdn=Fish

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.