Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched my tank from having a crushed oyster shell substrate to play sand. I recognize now that I must not have cleaned it as well as I thought because the tanks has a permanent haze to it. What is the best way for me to get my tank back to the clear picture I want it to be?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The haze could be either from not rinsing the sand good enough or you may be going through a mini cycle or both. By removing your substrate, you are also removing beneficial bacteria thus causing the mini cycle. Have you tested the ammonia and nitrite levels in your tank? Either way, a good sized water change would help the haze but you need to make sure there isn't ammonia and nitrite present because this can kill your fish.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that the sand was not rinsed well enough. The question now is how to get rid of the haze?

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Depending on how bad you think the cleaning job was...remove the sand, clean and replace. Or lots of water changes and gravel vacuuming.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I cleaned the sand based on the instructions of the video I saw in the video section. I had sand in two buckets, ran a hose through it until the water was clear, then stirred and repeated about 3 times per bucket. But I realize now that wasn't enough.

I have probably done 5 or 6 water changes since adding the sand yesterday. Will the haze continue to go away as I do more water changes?

G

·
This has happened to me too I don't think the video is a lot of help. I mean I guess it would help someone from just pouring the bag in the tank.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Ok maybe I missed something, but do you have fish in the tank? When I used play sand in my 55 I rinsed and put it in and noticed the same thing. So i did a 100% water change but when the tank was empty and just wet sand, I filled it up with about 1/3 of hot water and then filled the rest with really cold water. It caused most of it to go to the bottom to where i could vacuum it up.If you wait longer after adding the cold water it will do a better job of bringing it to the bottom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts