Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up my 75 gallon and added a 50 lb. bag of pool filter sand (quikrete to be exact) I thoroughly washed the sand before adding to the tank. Probably spent way longer than I should have doing so. I added it to the tank and added the water. It was extremely cloudy. I did an almost 100% water change and poured the water on top of a tray so it would not disturb the sand. It is still cloudy. Is this something that will resolve on its own after a few days? I am running my HOB filter but not the canister to see if it will help and then will replace the media before doing a fishless cycle. Any advice of pfs?

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
Yes, it will resolve itself over time.
But, waitaminnit..... is this the Pool Filtration Sand (PFS) you purchased?

https://www.quikrete.com/productlines/s ... filter.asp

I've never used that brand, but the descriptor ID and labeling on the bag looks good. Hmmmmm.... and, I ain't gonna lie on this - it IS a painstaking process to properly rinse out PFS. I use a five-gallon bucket, fill it up about a third full with dry sand and get busy with a garden hose. It takes a lot of blasting down into the sand with the hose nozzle. And then a few cycles of: dump cloudy water-blast hose-rinse-repeat cycles to get a third of a bucket of sand rinsed and ready to go. It's a visual thing, I guess.... And when doing it, if you see that you are still blasting up cloudy water with the hose in the five gallon rinse bucket?

Then the sand isn't rinsed enough.

It's not pretty work! And yes, it definitely takes a while - I can think of a LOT of things I'd rather be doing with a garden hose - than rinsing out buckets of PFS outside in my yard, on a really nasty and cold day in February!
Are you sure you spent enough time with it, and rinsed out that PFS long enough? :oops:

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
Another different experience. I have used both pool filter sand from a pool/spa store and 20 grain silica sand from a sand blasting supply and Quikrete.

The Quikrete did not seem to have the 100% even 20 grain granules...there was lots of fine sand mixed in. I always wash substrate, but the Quikrete did not run clear after 15 minutes of continuously running water (full blast from the hose as Augallagh described), and in fact a lot of material washed away...another sign there was fine sand present.

Even when I finally added it to my tank, you could see there was a fair amount of fine sand.

Others have not had this experience with Quikrete, but I will stick to the pool/spa suppliers and/or the sandblasting supply. Vendors that sell sandblasting materials stake their reputation on the purity of the material and the exact grain size. But may not want to sell retail. A family member does sandblasting so we usually have an account.

I see you are in NJ, there is a pool/spa supply chain called Leslies.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Auballagh said:
Yes, it will resolve itself over time.
But, waitaminnit..... is this the Pool Filtration Sand (PFS) you purchased?

https://www.quikrete.com/productlines/s ... filter.asp

I've never used that brand, but the descriptor ID and labeling on the bag looks good. Hmmmmm.... and, I ain't gonna lie on this - it IS a painstaking process to properly rinse out PFS. I use a five-gallon bucket, fill it up about a third full with dry sand and get busy with a garden hose. It takes a lot of blasting down into the sand with the hose nozzle. And then a few cycles of: dump cloudy water-blast hose-rinse-repeat cycles to get a third of a bucket of sand rinsed and ready to go. It's a visual thing, I guess.... And when doing it, if you see that you are still blasting up cloudy water with the hose in the five gallon rinse bucket?

Then the sand isn't rinsed enough.

It's not pretty work! And yes, it definitely takes a while - I can think of a LOT of things I'd rather be doing with a garden hose - than rinsing out buckets of PFS outside in my yard, on a really nasty and cold day in February!
Are you sure you spent enough time with it, and rinsed out that PFS long enough? :oops:
Yes that is the exact sand I used. I split the bag into maybe 7 or 8 sections so that I could thoroughly rinse it as much as possible. For each section I rinsed, drained and then did that 2 more times. It took quite a long time. It looks pretty clear to me by the 3rd rinse, but then got cloudy again once I started adding water to the tank.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
Another different experience. I have used both pool filter sand from a pool/spa store and 20 grain silica sand from a sand blasting supply and Quikrete.

The Quikrete did not seem to have the 100% even 20 grain granules...there was lots of fine sand mixed in. I always wash substrate, but the Quikrete did not run clear after 15 minutes of continuously running water (full blast from the hose as Augallagh described), and in fact a lot of material washed away...another sign there was fine sand present.

Even when I finally added it to my tank, you could see there was a fair amount of fine sand.

Others have not had this experience with Quikrete, but I will stick to the pool/spa suppliers and/or the sandblasting supply. Vendors that sell sandblasting materials stake their reputation on the purity of the material and the exact grain size. But may not want to sell retail. A family member does sandblasting so we usually have an account.

I see you are in NJ, there is a pool/spa supply chain called Leslies.
I read that a lot of people have had great results with quikrete so I hobestly thought it was safe. You will not believe the effort I went through to refill that 75 gallon tank twice. I basically lugged 5 gallon buckets from the bathroom, treated the water and slowly transfered the water to the tank using a smaller container. I'm not strong enough to lift the bucket and I didn't want to disturb the sand too much. If the cloudiness does not clear in a few days I may have to change the sand.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
If you keep vacuuming out the fine sand with the Python, you will eventually be left with only the larger grains that you want.

I also read experienced fishkeepers loved the stuff which is why I tried it. Quality control must vary by the manufacturing/bagging facility.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
If you keep vacuuming out the fine sand with the Python, you will eventually be left with only the larger grains that you want.

I also read experienced fishkeepers loved the stuff which is why I tried it. Quality control must vary by the manufacturing/bagging facility.
I will just have to keep doing water changes. It isn't too bad now, but it isn't as clear as I would like it to be. I also added API accu-clear to see if maybe it wasn't the PFS and maybe something else in the tank. Hopefully in a couple days it will clear up. I definitely cleaned the sand thoroughly because the water started off brown (almost looked like coffee) and by the time I was done rinsing, the water looked pretty clear. Maybe I just got a bad batch.

Also, I would like to try the python, but I have a weirdly shaped faucet. It is rectangular so I can't see how I would be able to hook it up to the faucet to do water changes.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
I use a laundry sink in the basement. Try all the faucets in your house (the hoses can be long, I use 50 feet) and use the outdoor hose faucet if necessary.

Be careful adding chemicals of any kind, they can have unexpected and undesirable consequences.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
I use a laundry sink in the basement. Try all the faucets in your house (the hoses can be long, I use 50 feet) and use the outdoor hose faucet if necessary.

Be careful adding chemicals of any kind, they can have unexpected and undesirable consequences.
Our tank is located near a door that has an outdoor hose right next to it. I probably would have done that, but we have the water shut off during the winter to prevent the hose from freezing up. I'll have to see if our basement sink could work. Thanks for the tip.

Also, I think the API accu-clear stuff worked. There are no fish in the tank yet and we just started cycling so I'll make sure to check the parameters to see if the chemicals caused any major changes. It actually did work, so maybe it wasn't completely the sand that caused the cloudiness. It looks a lot better now. Maybe I didn't wash the resin driftwood enough.

·
Registered
80 Posts
ncm13579 said:
DJRansome said:

I will just have to keep doing water changes. It isn't too bad now, but it isn't as clear as I would like it to be. I also added API accu-clear to see if maybe it wasn't the PFS and maybe something else in the tank. Hopefully in a couple days it will clear up. I definitely cleaned the sand thoroughly because the water started off brown (almost looked like coffee) and by the time I was done rinsing, the water looked pretty clear. Maybe I just got a bad batch.

Also, I would like to try the python, but I have a weirdly shaped faucet. It is rectangular so I can't see how I would be able to hook it up to the faucet to do water changes.
Hello,

When you say your faucet is rectangular are you meaning there is no circular screw in aerator? FYI, Big Al's has several adapters if it comes to that.

Regards,
Stu

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stu W2 said:
ncm13579 said:
DJRansome said:

Hello,

When you say your faucet is rectangular are you meaning there is no circular screw in aerator? FYI, Big Al's has several adapters if it comes to that.

Regards,
Stu
Correct. It is some weird modern faucet we got when we recently remodeled the bathroom. It honestly doesn't even look like there is an aerator. Here is a link to the actual faucet we have. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pfister-Ven ... /300721649
In theory it looks nice, but I personally hate it now. Just splashes water everywhere.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hmm, thanks for the link. I haven't seen one like that before and it doesn't look like there is an adapter for it on the sites I've checked. Oh well, as long as your significant other is happy with it that's what counts.

Regards,
Stu

·
Super Moderator
2,020 Posts
I have also used the API Accu-clear stuff one time and it worked to clump up some weird particles that were floating in a relatively new tank that did have fish with no side issues.

Another option for using a Python type device is to add a shower diverter before the shower head to fill your tank if you don't have a suitable faucet nearby. It will work fine for filling the tank but you would need to DIY some additional hose and place the Python pump part lower in the shower to use the drain feature.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts