Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Cichlid-Forum, I'm here to see if anyone has ideas on my yellow lab. I've posted in a few places but no one seems totally sure what's up with this fish's eye. I purchased this yellow lab from a Petsmart in 2010. That makes him about 11 years old. In December I noticed one eye was starting to become cloudy. I increased my water changes but didn't medicate him. Now the eye is very cloudy, mostly over the lens. I'm wondering, is this possibly related to old age and not an illness? Can fish get cataracts? I feel like if this was an illness or injury, this would have been worse after almost 2 months. His other eye is perfectly clear and overall he is still a very good looking fish. He has no history of any illnesses.

He lives alone, and his parameters are 0/0/80 (high nitrate is a constant issue and sometimes goes higher), 78 degrees, been eating NLS for most of his life, pwc every week to two weeks.

I'm also curious about what the lifespan should be. When I first got into cichlids, I read that labidochromis caeruleus had a lifespan of up to 15 years. Now I am seeing 8 to 10 yrs.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,840 Posts
Welcome to C-F!!

Yes he/she is fairly old but could live even longer as a lot depends on genetics, diet and water quality.

I can't blow up the pics enough to see whether the whiteness is on the eye or within the eye. I'm not sure anything can be done honestly.

80ppm nitrate is quite elevated and if your tap water reading also shows nitrate, I would increase both the frequency and amount of water you change weekly. I would proceed slowly at first so as not to cause a shock to his system.

Also you may need to increase filter maintenance especially if using a canister filter or sump.

What size is the tank and what brand/model filter are you using?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He lives in a 29 gallon w/ two Fluval Aquaclear filters rated for up to 50 gallons each. The media is LOTS of the Fluval filter sponges. One filter has probably been running for a good 6 years, and the other is a more recent replacement for an old Penguin Bio-wheel. He lives alone in this tank because he has killed female yellow labs (the last time he had a tank mate was 2013). Unfortunately I don't have the room with 13 other aquariums to upgrade. The nitrate issue is present in my tap water. Even my moderately planted aquariums tend to have high (40ish) nitrate.

As for the pics, he really doesn't stay still so a good picture is hard to come by. As far as I can tell it doesn't bother him and his behavior is totally normal (he is shoveling gravel around right now).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts