Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i am setting up my little tank and i am using black sand i got from the LFS for substrate but the only problem is there is this tinting in the tank that i cant seem to get rid of and i remember reading a thread on here a few months ago about placing some kind of string or thread in with the filter and that it would clear up cloudiness from the water the only problem is i cant seem to find that thread to see exactly what kind of string or thread was recommended so if anybody knows which thread it is and could direct me where it is located or if somebody knows what to use i would be greatly appreciative

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
how long has this been going on? Cleaning the filters, and doing frequent water changes is the best bet. Some extra filter floss--not string, would help. It is sold as filter floss at some lfs or as polyester quilt batting at walmart in the craft section. It is like a big bag of pretty much exactly what your filter cartidges are.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well it has only been a day now but i have no lights in the hood yet so i couldnt light it up and get a good look at anything in the tank i pulled some of the water out a couple ours ago to see it under good light and saw that it was completely clear it was just a combination of the blackness of the sand and the no light that made it still look cloudy

·
Registered
55 Posts
I occasionally use a product called "Crystal Clear", made by Aquarium Products for cloudy water. I bought mine at Petsmart. It's a dark red liquid that comes in a small dropper bottle. You add 1 drop per gallon. This stuff is cheap and it's worked every time I've used it and I've never noticed any ill effects to the fish. It works by causing small particles to cling together, which enables your filter to umm filter them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts