Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two pairs of 3/4 and 1/2 tubing from the tank to two canister filter. The tubes are about 10' long and can't be easily removed (through a wall). Noticing buildup on the insides of the tubes and thinkingnof ways to clean them. Ideas?

Thought about running a wirefish through them, then putting a bundle of cotton balls on the end and pulling the wirefish back through to softly scrape the walls. Didn't know if anyone else had better ideas...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I just never clean them. That small build up of what appears to be slime has benefical bacteria. But you could put a rag and shake it threw and it will grab alot of the debris. You may have to do it a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I never clean mine, either.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
I always clean mine at least twice a year.

Swamplander has an excellent idea for using a wire fish tape for long runs of tubing or pipe. I would NOT use cotton balls though as they may be easily dislodged. Try a small piece of cloth, tied securely, or attach a small tube brush.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I use a rag on a wire. With the fish tape, you may have to be careful not to punch the sides. Ten feet can give a special problem with not being able to reach both ends. Got a good helper around? I get a hard alkaline buildup and sometimes it will come off by just flexing the tubing.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I use pex tubing, the same diameter used on water to the fridge plumbing. I hooked a tube cleaning brush to one end and push / pull it thru when doing major maintenance on the filters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts