Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom had a sign made of limestone in her front yard for years. Her landscaper hit it with his riding lawnmower and broke it up in some nice chunks. On a average, maybe 15 6x6 chunks all about 4 inches thick. I rescued it out of her trash can today. One side of each piece has Georgia red clay on it. The edges that broke are pretty clean, but have some household garbage junk on some of them. The side with the eched sign looks like it's mildewed. How would you clean this and make it safe for an aquarium. I did a rough stacking and it's going to look great not to mention all the ph benefits.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The above advise will get it safe. Are you wanting to whiten it as well? If you want it to start whiter, stronger bleach in the water and longer soaking will sometimes make it whiter. I will advise that it may not stay white for long after the algae gets started. Color depends a lot on the type of limestone but the algae makes it all the same after a bit. I've learned to like the "natural" color!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's Texas limestone. Did a trial piece last night with 1 part bleach to 9 parts water. Scrubbed it and let it soak overnight. Looks great except the side with the Georgia red clay. That side has a orange tint on it. Think I should try more bleach?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I always use lots of bleach. It does a lot of things beside kill bacteria. I don't measure but put enough bleach to make the water feel slippery. The red stain is probably iron that is now absorbed into the rock. It may or may not come out.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would just turn that side down. The old clay is not a problem otherwise. A couple days out in the sun might help it as well. I do that sort of thing while waiting around for the cycle to get ready. It helps to have SOMETHING to dowhile waiting. That's one thing that works for me when I use bleach. I have to wait anyway so just set it all out in the sun and it is definitely dry before the tank cycles.

·
Registered
211 Posts
agree with everone else wash really well, bleach. not use what you use on your lawn like fertilizers but those may have come in contact with it not sure where it was in her yard

·
Registered
220 Posts
Limestone is best cleaned with vinegar; not bleach. The vinegar will disolve the surface lazyer, removing any contaminants. The vinegar, in turn will be netralized by the limestone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts