Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
I like to use single edge razor blades and buy a plastic holder that is made to hold the blade. It works very well, just remember to keep the blade away from any corners in the tank near the silicone. I usually use my finger to clean the corners to avoid damaging the silicone. Dry the blade between uses, it's usually good for a few cleanings depending on the tank size. I only clean the front of my tanks so I can see the fish.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I use a hand algae scrubber. It's an abrasive pad on about a 15" handle you can get at most LFS for around $10. Usually works really well on 90% of the dirty/algae spots. If there's some really bad green algae that is hard to remove then I do as Deeda and I use a razor blade on that spot.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The original Mr. Clean pads work amazing! Do not use any of the scented or soap versions. Only the original pads. How you attach them to whatever you use is up to you. I'm usually shoulder deep reaching in my tank. I'm sure some of you need scuba gear. :D

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Steve C said:
I use a hand algae scrubber. It's an abrasive pad on about a 15" handle you can get at most LFS for around $10. Usually works really well on 90% of the dirty/algae spots.
Plus one. For stubborn algae like green spot, I just use more pressure and repetition.

·
Registered
783 Posts
BlueSunshine said:
I use a kent marine proscraper II. The shorty is the one I like, they work great.
2x ... :thumb:

I mostly use the green pad attachment, but also the stainless blade is handy for really stubborn algae and mineral deposits.

Also have a Mag-Float I use as well.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
For some reason wryan's post made me remember my favorite tool...an old plastic credit card. Makes a great scraper that cannot scratch as long as you are careful to avoid trapping sand granules.

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
I don't use magnets in tanks with plant substrate because the laterite can be attracted to the cleaning magnet and scratch glass or acrylic. In other tanks I use the magnets on soft fast growing algae. The slow growing calcareous algae requires a razor blade. There is an aquarium product with a white pad that slows the return of algae where you clean with it. It smells like lemon. It does not seem to affect tank pH but I don't know exactly what is in it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use a magnetic algae scrubber.. one side stays in the tank while the other you can manoeuvre around.. it's brilliant

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use an aquarium glass cleaning magnet with a piece of polishing pad cut to fit the inside piece. This allows me to rinse the pad during cleaning. Works like a charm. :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts