Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gal with a penguin 330 HOB and a Eheim 2217. Everytime I turn my HOB off during water changes a bunch of white debris comes out of the intake. Are the filters supposed to be cleaned periodically? If so, how is it done?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
For the intake tubes I just run hot water through them or I have brush on a string that I pull through. The Rest of the filter I usually use tank water or dechlor tap water and kinda wipe down what I have with my hand if it gets real bad. Otherwise I usually dont clean the entire filter.

I always get the white stuff that blows out of my canister hoses too, but it usually is cleared up not too long after it is running again.

NOTE- Technically you shouldnt use tap water that is dechlorinated at all to clean your filters or anything for that fact, but I figured the amount of bacteria that I lose inside the intake tube is minimal so I am not really to concerned about doing JUST that part in the bath tub.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
For the intake tubes I just run hot water through them or I have brush on a string that I pull through. The Rest of the filter I usually use tank water or dechlor tap water and kinda wipe down what I have with my hand if it gets real bad. Otherwise I usually dont clean the entire filter.

I always get the white stuff that blows out of my canister hoses too, but it usually is cleared up not too long after it is running again.

NOTE- Technically you shouldnt use tap water that is dechlorinated at all to clean your filters or anything for that fact, but I figured the amount of bacteria that I lose inside the intake tube is minimal so I am not really to concerned about doing JUST that part in the bath tub.
I think xxbenjamminxx ment to say you shouldn't use water straight from your tap to clean anything. Always use dechlorinated water to clean anything in your tank . Pipe cleaners are very good for cleaning tubes.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Lol oops. Thanks flipper my pc hidden broke so I am using my phone for this.

Yeah NO TAP WATER. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Depends on what the makeup of your water might be but when you have hard water, there is a buildup in filter parts. Not really anything to worry about other than when it lands in the tank it may look messy. Same thing you find in a coffee pot or tea kettle when they have been used for a while. For both the HOB and the canister, it will be important over time to clean the area where the impeller sets. It doesn't have to be every time but over time these will get full of algae and gunk and stop the impeller if not cleaned. I use a Q-tip to get down in the little hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts