Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, just wondering which catfish/other fish would be the best for a mixed Malawi tank...heres what I know so far...

1) Loaches. I know they don't really have similar water parameters as Africans, but the main turnoff for me for these fish is they get big, and would count as another species in my 75 which I don't want

2) Plecos. I have heard they cause problem with Malawi. The Malawi bite and fight with them, and that the plecos and suck onto the sides of these fish while they sleep

3) Synodontis. Dont have a lot of info on these guys. These would be option number one, but what species would be best for clean up, and how many.

Any experience or feedback in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys and gals

Mike

·
Super Moderator
40,483 Posts
Your Malawi will take care of the substrate, combined with a fishkeeper who does not overfeed, at least not too much. :thumb:

The advantage of a cleaning crew IMO is to handle some of the algae on the glass/decor. For that you want a bristlenose pleco.

It's true they have a 60% initial survival rate with Malawi, but once they have survived the first few weeks/months in a tank they are probably fine for life.

In spite of that, there does not seem to be a better option for tank cleaning. Unless you want to try a planted tank.

I love the nerite snails, but I think their lifespan is cut short in a Malawi tank.

PS Synodontis are great fish. I just would not call them a cleaning crew...unless you mean fry.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any other feedback on any sharks? What about like a cool looking pleco, i know they are more expensive, but the really sweet ones like clowns or zebra

·
Super Moderator
40,483 Posts
BN plecos seem to stand up to the Malawi best among plecos, and even then they have only a 60% chance.

Some of the other plecos have more stringent pH requirements and need driftwood in the tank, etc. You would want to research each one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts