Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m setting up this old 10g (footprint 25cm x 40cm/10x15.5 inches) what is the best way to clean it? It’s only been sat out in our shed so nothing too bad… also any suggestions on stocking? Could it house a single dwarf cichlid? A ram for example?

· Registered
749 Posts
I should say that the preference would be something colourful as at least in name this will be my daughters tank😁 thanks
If is has no stuck-on residue or buildup, then I would simply clean it with a 1/10 (bleach to water) solution. Let dry completely then it is ready to setup. Make sure and cycle the tank before stocking.

Regarding which fish to stock, single dwarf cichlid like a ram would be fine. You could also have a school of small dithers like neon tetras.

· Registered
379 Posts
Ram's aren't known for being the most robust fish.
So unless you have soft low pH tap water, a Ram wouldn't be tops on my list.
And if you wanted something with color, maybe some of the hardy killifish might be a better option, especially in that size tank, where a pair would be possible.
Water Vertebrate Underwater Organism Terrestrial plant

· Super Moderator
2,977 Posts
HEAVILY plant that thing!
Stock with,
  • Guppies!
  • 1 Ancistrus type catfish (Facilities Crew for Algae Cleanup)
And then, before the guppies in there threaten to overwhelm you with all of that legendary live bearer FECUNDITY? Stock with a single Amatitlania nanolutea, Yellow Dwarf Cichlid. That one could play the role of the grumpy Bridge Troll or something, in this little aquarium.... :rolleyes:

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow they are beautiful! Turns out the tank is not as I thought 10g but 7g, it still has the same footprint but is shorter than I thought, guessing that throws all that advice out the window?

· Super Moderator
2,977 Posts
Getting kind of small. So, use this 7 gallon aquarium as a quarantine tank! Get a bigger (but still small) tank, and set it up for the daughter (her room?).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts