Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is a broad question/topic and I couldn't find a thread on this but if there is can someone post it so I can read it. Anyways how many times a week should the tank get cleaned and by how much water should be taken out? I have a 55g tank with 2 powerheads and a fluval 304 for filtration. I should be cleaning all the algae too right?

For the Fluval in the 3 trays I have the white circular stone things on top, then I have carbon, and then I have some more of those white circular things. I have been reading that maybe I should not be using carbon, so what should I use instead? Or someone can just suggest the 3 ingredients I should use for the 3 trays, that would be awesome too.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
rpshilling said:
how many times a week should the tank get cleaned and by how much water should be taken out?
50% weekly is a good starting place. Let test results for nitrate be your guide if you need to do more than 50%.

rpshilling said:
I should be cleaning all the algae too right?
If it is excessive and if you don't like the look of it. Lots of us clean the glass but leave the rocks.

rpshilling said:
maybe I should not be using carbon, so what should I use instead? Or someone can just suggest the 3 ingredients I should use for the 3 trays,
Carbon is OK but not necessary. In my three trays I have sponges in the bottom, biological media in the middle and most of the top, and a fine filter pad on top.

Your white circular stone things may be your biological media? A place for the bacteria to grow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your white circular stone things may be your biological media? A place for the bacteria to grow
Yea. I think I will add more of this and take out my carbon.

50% weekly is a good starting place. Let test results for nitrate be your guide if you need to do more than 50%.
What should good nitrate levels be?

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I like to have nitrates at 10ppm after a water change and 20ppm before a water change.

·
Registered
117 Posts
just checking, have you read up on fish-less cycling? and how the nitrogen cycle works?

·
Registered
117 Posts
also you know how to clean a filter right? using old tank water or dechlorinated tap water?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts