Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I ended up going to the LFS and talked to them about some of the incompatibly issues with my different species and ended up getting store credit for my Oscar, both Venestus's, and the Green Spotted Puffers. They are suppose to be getting some more demasoni in tomorrow and am going to pick up a few more of them to add. Currently I have 5 Dem's, 3 Peacocks, Blue Johanni, and 3 Catfish. Am planning on doing something with the cats still and would like to add another species possibly with a yellow color. Would Yellow labs work with my current stock? Or what would you recommend would work if any? Have been doing alot of looking but would like to know others think.

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
What about the bumblebee? I can't think of anything I can recommend that would be a mix with high odds of success with demasoni and peacocks. :oops: Yellow labs would go with either species and won't make things worse FWIW. With the singles in the tank you might want to keep synodontis multipunctatus in a group of 5-6 for fry control and try to make sure you have minimum males and maximum females among the demasoni and labs.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I forgot to add that the Bumble Bee is in there yet too. I like to look of the labs and would like to add some other colors in there thats why I was considering the labs. Do you think if i get up to around 12 to 15 Dem's that it would be enough to help spread aggression and keep it away from the Peacocks? So far all has been ok but as with the Auratus I had I learned that once maturity happens things can change oh so much in a hurry. Do you think in the long run I would be better off to see if the bumble could be exchanged too? I have done alot of research on the compatibility of the Malawis but I havent seen an actual list of what is known to work and what doesn't.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I stopped in the lfs today and picked up 3 yellow labs and 3 more dem's. Added them to my tank and I am finally starting to achieve my goal on this tank of nice color along with a good selection of fish. Now just to find someone to take the catfish I was dooped into buying at walmart. Also any one have an opinion on whether I should be looking for a new home for the bumble or leave him in there?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah Im pretty sure that is what I will end up doing. Gonna leave the Peacocks in for now and see how that goes. If going gets tough for them then I will relocate them at that time. These are my first yellow labs and am really liking them so far, very active little guys. They are zooming all over the place checking every nook and cranny out.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you really like your fish and find them getting aggressive you can upgrade to a larger tank rather inexpensively. You have the filtration for a 90 gallon or 100. I saw brand new 90 gallons at big ALS for 160. And if you go used even cheaper.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I have been thinking about going up to a 75 gal seeing it still is just as wide as the 55 gal I have now. Only bummer would be that I also would need to get a larger stand seeing that the one that I have now is only about 15 inches deep. Think I could just add on to the stand I have now or something along that order. Every one around here thinks they are sitting on a gold mine with their equipment. Seen a couple 75 gal tanks with not much else but they all want around the $300 or more mark for them. So if anyone in upper wi has a larger tank pm me. Will also be posting a want add in the classifieds forum soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts