Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 180 Gal I set up for Tropheus. Then being me I stocked it with Hap's & Peacocks. There are two 1400 circulation pumps ( for the Trophs). I like the job they do. Do you think the fish do, Hap's & peacock's. What do you think about running them a few hours a day to move the waste ? Or 24hr or not at all? Thanks :-?

·
Registered
625 Posts
What's the gph of those pumps? 1400? All cichlids need good circulation and it's paramount to waste removal, but if it's two 1400 gph pumps that sounds like way too much.

Look into the undergravel jets (UGJ). There is a great DIY article in the library about them that a pump like that would be great work. Basically it's a network of PVC tubes connected to a pump that have several different nozzles that poke out of the subrate to eliminate dead spots in the water discreetly.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I assume your tank is 6' or more and your filter pump is more than fine. But I'm not sure about adding an additional 2800 gph to your tank. One pump running an UGJ system would take care of all the water circulation you need.

With all three pumps you'd be turning over your entire tank's water ~25.5 times an hour, that's some serious movement. Which just the filter and one pump your turning over ~18 times an hour, that would be much calmer and still 3x more than the standard 6 times an hour. Couple that with dispersing the 1400 gph through several outlets, and it would be more than okay I think.

If you're set on using both 1400's, separate the UGJ into two sections and run one pump on either side of the tank.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
In my 75g I am running a Fluval 405, an Eheim 2075, and two koralia circulators,(750 and 850gph) and the fish seem to love playing in the current and are always spawning like mad.

In my setup that would be about 30.2 per hour turn over rate according to the manufacturers output specs. I am sure it is a little lower than that but still up there with no ill effects so far.

If they dont look like they are getting blown around or constantly hiding from the current I dont see what it is hurting honestly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts