Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a tank around 70ish gallons by a coworker and needed a stand so I went the cheap route and got cinder block. the tank measures 36x18x25. My question is about support. I got cinder block that measures 15 5/8x7 5/8x7 5/8. Now i know how i want to stack them but the question lies in the 15 5/8 part. I plan on just supporting the two ends on each side by three stacked cinder blocks. Since the tank measures just over 18" with plastic will this due? There would be about 1.5" gap in front and back . i didn't want to buy more cinder block because the spot I have for the tank doesn't allow for much more. Any info is much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
make sure the wood you place under them is nice and level. I had a 55 on blocks and 2x6's the bottom glass cracked, spilled all over the floor, and killed all the fish. I am almost 100% sure it was because the bottom wasn't supported correctly by the 2x6's.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard of using styrofoam under the tank to help with that? Anyone else tried it? I guess I should get some 3/4 plywood to make sure. and maybe another stack of three cinder blocks for the center.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Make a 2x4 box size of your tank and put ply wood on top sit it on top of cinder blocks and tank on that can even stick stryofoam in between if want

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I got three more cinder blocks ,2 sheets cut to length of 3/8 plywood , and 4 1x4s cut to length. I also got some lense material used for celing tile lights for tops. I'm gonna slap it all together when I get home. Pics to come if all turns out well. I did manage to find a little more about the tank. It is made by all glass aquarium and the bottom pane is tempered. So I'm thinking this DIY is going to work.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after sitting in my livingroom for about a week its finally up and running. Here are a few pics. I will later break it down (when motivated) and paint. I did not paint at first because I was not sure if it would work.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
iwade4fish said:
Looks stable. Nice work. Same setup as my 75, rock solid and cheap!!!
Thanks. I am gonna paint both the wood and blocks . I'm thinking brown and black. Alternate the stone colors and paint the wood black.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
frank1rizzo said:
When I had my setup, I just threw a black sheet over it. It looked ok.
Yeah I have read that in a previous post . Thanks for the tip. Not to sure which to go with. Either way I have to drain the tank. :( oh well

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I was lazy and painted after I set it up. :oops: It still turned out OK. I just painted around the tank and had cheap rugs on the floor so I didn't get paint on my wood flooring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.