Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first post here so plz go easy...lol. Anyhow, i was wondering if it'd be alright to put red clawed crabs with cichlids together? I was planning on building a 3D diy background and i'd have the top, instead of it reaching the top of the tank, cut it a few inches short. There'd be a natural looking shelf above the waterline for the crabs to climb out of the water...just wondering if it'd work out or not... Comments and suggestions welcome..

·
Registered
625 Posts
The cycle that plagues keeping cichlids with inverts is that crabs will try to eat your fish (usually will not succeed), but when the crab molts his exoskeleton and is vulnerable, your cichlids will almost definitely eat/kill the crab.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what i thought as well..but was hoping when they molted, they'd be safe out of water...

But thanks anyways

·
Registered
625 Posts
If they learn the first time they molt then it has a chance of working. You'd have to work on conditioning the crabs to favor that area. Maybe put crab food on the top shelf out of the cichlids reach.

It could work, don't get discouraged about trying something new. Just don't buy really expensive crabs at first! :thumb:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the speedy reply...ill test it out over the summer and keep it updated!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, i keep mostly mbuna so hopefully they won't specifically target the crabs during molting...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts