Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Rhinox -if the turtle you are referring to is the Troost Turtle (I think my spelling is right - I don't recall their scientific name) they are predetory ambushers and carion eaters. There are several species differentiated partly by the color of a small patch on either side of their necks. They remain motionless for a really long time under water consuming very little oxygen while waiting for fish to come within striking distance. Then they grab the fish in a quick strike. They have very sharp jaws (beak-like) that are very strong and will cut a vee shaped chunk out of their prey. If it is fatal, they will feed on the carcus which may be shared with other turtles. If not they will wait for another "big bite" of fish meat from another fish to come along.

I've kept them as a kid and as long as the death of a nightcrawler doesn't bother you (I fish) it is fascinating watching two painted shell turtles devour a nightcrawler with each starting at opposite ends. You can fool them with a piece of cooked spaghetti.

If you value both the fish and turtle, they should not be kept together in an aquarium.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I looked at turtle tanks at Petco and the footprint of the 40br is good. But the turtle tanks are a lot cheaper because you only use low water levels and the glass is thinner.

Thanks for the info on the turtles. I never really researched it. The Troost's have to be very closely related, but I have seen hundreds of the painted turtles basking on logs and rocks when I have been fishing (eating fish on my stringer too) :p and since you mentioned it they didn't have the red or yellow neck patches. My bad! Otherwise they sure look similar.

If I ever loose my desire to learn something, would someone please find me and shoot me? :D
Les

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.