Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know that I will most likely be the minority on this one, but I say "go for it". I have 3 different tanks and all 3 are community type tanks with different types of fish and TURTLES. No problems with the turtles chasing or eating any of the fish. Of course, every turtle and tank is different, but it can be done and it makes for a VERY interesting and dynamic tanks. Everyone that comes over to my house is always surprised that the turtles don't eat the fish.

It is best to introduce the turtle to fish right off the bat when they are hatchlings. They usually try to take a bite of them, but the turtle quickly relizes that the fish are too fast for him to catch. And, no it is not really stressful for the fish other than the first week or so. My yellow labs breed like crazy in my 90 gallon tank with 2 Diamondback Terrapins (which are basicly canrnivores) and DO eat fish in the wild, but everything is A-OK. Also, all my turtles are captive bred, so that will certainly make a difference as well.

Believe it or not, but I actually had to trade in a couple of my Yellow Labs because they were chasing the turtles out of their territory..............it got to the point that they wouldn't let the turtles hang around down at the bottom of the tank and the Labs started "biting" their rear legs and even on their necks, so it was just the opposite of what most people would think. The turtles were afraid of the fish............NOT the other way around!!!!

Austin's Turtle Page and turtleforum.com is one of the best "turtle sites" out there, so you should be able to learn everything you need to know over there. Good luck to you, Jimbo

·
Registered
29 Posts
The indoor pond in the basement is a great idea!

As far as narrowing it down on what type of turtle.............I would stay away from the Red Eared Sliders. I've had them before and if you have more than one of them, aggression between them can be problematic down the road when they are full grown, plus as you already know, Female RES's can get up to 12 or 13 inches (and that's just the shell, not counting the head and tail). Western Painteds are my second favorite turtles, but you are right, they wouldn't look quite as cool looking down on them in a pond. Have you considered a Diamondback Terrapin? Concentric DBT's have bone white skin with black tear-drop markings and the look awesome at any angle...........even looking down on them. Plus, they are extremely sociable turtles and they behave like aquatic doggies............they even beg you for food everytime you walk up to the tank. I guarantee that you would absolutely LOVE having a couple of these guys down in your basement. The only thing is that they are more expensive than the WP's. Here's a couple of good websites if you want to look into getting one.

http://www.neoterrapin.com/

http://www.diamondbackterrapin.com/

Yellow Labs would most likely be one of the better cichlids for your indoor pond. I wouldn't get Koi since they are more cold water fish and wouldn't be completely happy in a tropical setting (water temps in the mid 70's). Also, unless you ended up getting a snapper or something like that, most other turtles would not be able to catch or eat any type of cichlids. Keep in mind, turtles are slow and stupid...............cichlids are fast and smart. The only way a turtle would catch a cichlid is if the fish was sick and starting to die or something like that. Best of luck to you!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes.........some turtles are better at hunting down a fish than others.........it varies from species to species and even from turtle to turtle. One of my younger DBT's will get a wild hair up is behind every now and then and try to chase down one of my Tiger Barbs, and even the Barbs make my turtles look silly. They can literally swim circles around the turtle, so that's what I meant when I said turtles are stupid............because they really do look stupid trying to catch a fish that it is just "toying" with them and daring them to TRY to catch them. It's funny to watch. To be honest with you, all of my DBT's have enough trouble just trying to pick a pellet off of the side of the glass at feeding time...........it can take them 3 or 4 tries to grab the pellet and get it in their mouth and that's with a pellet that is NOT even moving.........it's a sitting target, so with the DBT's anyway, the chance of them actually getting a piece of a moving target like a fish is very, very slim.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.