Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I'm being very conscious about my fish keeping hobby and I really want my fishes to be healthy and happy . Recently i bought mbunas peacocks and some haps for my tank , tank size is 5*2*2 . All of them were exhibiting great colours in aquarium shop but in my tank they look pale . They eat nicely i feed them hikari cichlid gold and they also look active they chase each other around , I have two sobo top filters.
Plant Wood Interior design Shade Shelving

·
Administrator
42,007 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

First any fish will be pale upon arrival in a new tank, it can take a month or more before they exhibit good colors.

BUT if you mix the wrong fish they will never exhibit good colors. For example, most mbuna are too aggressive for haps and peacocks. This is not something you can observe but something the fish feel and they subdue their colors...trying to avoid notice.

What are the species of each fish in your tank and are they all male? You may have some fish that get too large for your tank, and/or some that are too aggressive to allow the others to color well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

First any fish will be pale upon arrival in a new tank, it can take a month or more before they exhibit good colors.

BUT if you mix the wrong fish they will never exhibit good colors. For example, most mbuna are too aggressive for haps and peacocks. This is not something you can observe but something the fish feel and they subdue their colors...trying to avoid notice.

What are the species of each fish in your tank and are they all male? You may have some fish that get too large for your tank, and/or some that are too aggressive to allow the others to color well.
Thankyou so much, i got some clarity . Actually it's been more than a month since I got them, and my question is at shops here in india there will be no substrate no good filters nor they feed good food and they are overstocked but still they look so colourfull ,how is that possible 😕?
About the species all of them are cichlids which includes 6 mbunas out of which one female, 3 peacocks all males ,3 haps out of which one female , 3 zebra convicts which are breeding ,2 small red tail sharks and two tiger barbs

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
The fish you have in your aquarium are not very compatible with each other. Building a true community aquarium is different than collecting nice-looking fish and hoping they will ultimately get along, Building a long-term stable and successful community aquarium correctly, can be a bit challenging.
  • African Cichlids. I can't personally speak to the mix you have, but you may want to reconsider what is in the aquarium now. Those fish can be very aggressive with each other as they mature and grow in size. Getting the right mix of species to balance that future aggression is the only way to be successful long-term in keeping them.
  • Convict Cichlids. Not too surprised that these Central American Cichlids have already started to spawn in the aquarium. At the small sizes they are when very young, the fry-protective aggression in this species won't be too bad at first. Watch out though. As they get bigger and stronger, the attacks on the other fish in the aquarium are just going to get more and more serious. If you want to keep the Convicts, I would recommend just keeping two females or two males so that they won't spawn again and cause a lot of problems and pain for everyone else in the tank kept with them.
  • Red Tailed Shark. These are a very mean, quite territorial species. The Convicts may be able to handle living with them. I am not too sure about all of the different species of African Cichlids.
To get this thing under control before your fish grow out more and start attacking each other in there, I would recommend doing some research on what you like. Then make a decision to either keep a community of compatible African Cichlids. Or, keep two of the Convict Cichlids and those Red Sharks, and build a community aquarium around them.

·
Administrator
42,007 Posts
They may be unnaturally colorful at the fish store due to being fed hormones by the breeder and/or the store. Then when you get them home and feed "good" food they lose their color.

In addition to what Auballagh said about Africans, males will intimidate/kill females unless there are many females for each male. Even with the most peaceful species we are talking about four females per male. The ratio 10m:2f in your tank will create competition/aggression among the males and the fish can lose color when aggression is high in the tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They may be unnaturally colorful at the fish store due to being fed hormones by the breeder and/or the store. Then when you get them home and feed "good" food they lose their color.

In addition to what Auballagh said about Africans, males will intimidate/kill females unless there are many females for each male. Even with the most peaceful species we are talking about four females per male. The ratio 10m:2f in your tank will create competition/aggression among the males and the fish can lose color when aggression is high in the tank.
Okay , i think i understood now . So now I can remove my convicts and redtails and can build an African cichlids only community so that they are potentially more happier and compatible together . Is that right ? But is it advisable to keep mbunas and peacocks together or should I only go for peacocks and haps only tank? And also wrt to female to male ratio i should be keeping atleast 4 F to 1 M ratio for them to have lesser agression?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay , i think i understood now . So now I can remove my convicts and redtails and can build an African cichlids only community so that they are potentially more happier and compatible together . Is that right ? But is it advisable to keep mbunas and peacocks together or should I only go for peacocks and haps only tank? And also wrt to female to male ratio i should be keeping atleast 4 F to 1 M ratio for them to have lesser agression?
Adding to that i actually bought two female peacocks today and I can see my male peacocks are showing their colours 😂

·
Administrator
42,007 Posts
You don't want to keep haps and peacocks with mbuna in general. You also don't want to keep more than one species of peacock/tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts