Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm wanting to get into cichlids and I have a 20L tank. I have a 60 gallon Whisper power filter for it. I'll probably use sand as substrate. And probably just fake plants. I'm going to need smaller cichlids as I was hoping to do something like 2 cichlids, a school of 5 or 6 tetra, and 4 or 5 cories. What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 20L also and im doing shell dwellers. Most wont grow bigger then 3 inches. They are all from lake tanganyika. And creating there tanks is really easy. Just have alot of shells for them and your done. And most tap water are high in ph and kh were you dont need to adjust the water very much if at all. Look up Lamrologus and Neolamprologus these are the more popular family of shell dwellers.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I'd like to do the SA or CA route, I'm still not sure on the kind of tetra or cichlids though. I was thinking serpae tetra or maybe red eyes? And bolivian rams, firemouths, or rainbows? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I think I've decided on my stock....

2 firemouths, 1m and 1f preferably
5 or 6 red eye tetra
5 cory catfish

What do you guys think? Tank is a 20 gallon long.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I've never kept firemouths, but I would be somewhat concerned with their size compared to the tetras... The tetras might been seen as threats/snacks when the fms breed. Hopefully someone can chime in in the CA forum.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea that's what I was kind of worried about but I've heard apistos require some pretty strict requirements and bolivian rams have started to bore me...they just don't look like they have much personality...am I right or wrong? Hopefully wrong....

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would strongly recommend then not going SA/CA. If you want a busy little tank look at the cookie cutter setup for a 20L.
• Julidochromis regani - 1 pair
• Neolamprologus leleupi - 1 pair
• 'Lamprologus' occelatus - 1 trio

This would be a busy / stable tank that would not ever need to be upgraded. The only thing you would want to consider is a sand substrate, and possibly some sort of power head.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
bolivians have a TON of personality. More than any african. A CA/SA tank will have less fish but generally more personality. I have FMS and Rams that when I walk into the room, go ape, they know when it is feeding time and make a racket. I can feed my FM by hand.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've already got 3 cory cats and I'm just not attracted to the shell dweller idea, but it is a good suggestion. It really sucks that firemouths would become too big because they look like the right fish for me. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Convicts they could work in a 20L, and a breeding Pair can be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea convicts were my original choice but I have 3 cory cats that I can't just get rid of and I don't know how the convicts would work with them, even though there are only 3 of them and they keep to themselves. Think it could work?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I find apistos very entertaining and attractive and they would fit easily in your tank with a school of tetras. I wouldn't recommend red eyes, though. I had some and got rid of them. They are very stocky and sort of pushy. I thought of them as sort of the linebackers of the team. I much prefer the black phantoms (the females have red on them) or rummynose tetras.

·
Registered
253 Posts
20 Gallons not 20 Liters.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright so final stock ideas....

2 Bolivian Rams, 1m and 1f
6 Serpae Tetra
5 Emerald Cory Cats

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also I was just thinking....

How about just a pair of convicts. They can have the whole 20 to themselves. And then.... I will set up a 10 gallon community with a school of red eye tetra and cory cats. I will put the convict fry in the 10 gallon and will the red eyes eat the fry?? I'm starting to like this idea.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.