Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Veggies are the best for cichlids?
and not just meaning all the vegetables they can eat.. but the ones with the highest nutritional value...
(to be specific Jack dempseys i rescue them :) )

So thats pretty much it.. i give them cucumbers.. and they love them , but i want to give em' more variety

thanks!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I give my cichlids..Romaine Lettuce..they seem to relish and devour it readily. Even my small juvies rip it apart and consume it. :) The plecos and algae eaters enjoy munching on it as well. Once in a great while-I give "cukes" to the plecos. 8)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just look at the nutritional values of each vegetable, there's no secret to it. Broccoli, kale, and mustard leaves are good.

I'm sure cichlids LOVE lettuce, but there's not much nourishment to it.

I just made my own gelatin recipe similar to the European shrimp mix, but much higher in veges. It has broccoli, carrot, red bell pepper, spirulina, garlic, and a few, peeled shrimp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
:D hmm that sounds delicious ... if I fed my fish like that my wife would get jealous ... I should say "even MORE jealous" :lol:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I read that foods rich in beta carotene were good for the fish's color (mainly yellow and red) so I sliced up some carrots and steamed them until tender. They love them. I also feed hauled peas and succhinni. The plecos love the veggies too. I only feed veggies maybe once a week. Right before a water change usually because they make a mess with them.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Actually romaine lettuce has a very substantial amount of nutritional value. There is enough beta carotene in one leaf to color up a whole tank! Ask my red zebra yellow lab and peacock!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts