Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have an empty 40 gallon tank. I would like it to be purely Tanganyikan. Small tank....40 gallons. I have a Compressiceps I will put in there and I want some Calvus. Would it be good to add another type in there? If so, what would you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
I assume the tank is 36" long? I would do either calvus or comp but not both. Stock six and end up with a pair. A good companion would be shellies.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess then it will have to remain Compressiceps because I have a gold one. So they don't get along with Calvus?

Tank is 30 inches long but with sump it is 36" long.

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
With a 30" long tank I would do just the single comp with a group of shellies.

They are closely related and would compete in the same tank...especially such a small one.

A 36" tank is marginal for a pair to form (which involves some aggression) so I would not try it in a 30" tank.

Some fish keepers pair them up in a 48" tank and then keep the established pair in the 36" tank.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:

They are closely related and would compete in the same tank...especially such a small one.

A 36" tank is marginal for a pair to form (which involves some aggression) so I would not try it in a 30" tank.

Some fish keepers pair them up in a 48" tank and then keep the established pair in the 36" tank.
OK I was going to get rid of my 75 gallon tank but I think now I will have to keep it and put them in there. How many compressiceps could I put in the 75 gallon tank?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
naturlvr said:
DJRansome said:

OK I was going to get rid of my 75 gallon tank but I think now I will have to keep it and put them in there. How many compressiceps could I put in the 75 gallon tank?
I have one Gold head Comp. and one Red Fin Comp.. The Red Fin Comp I keep in the 40 gallon tank temporarily. Can they both go into the 75 gallon tank? I was going to get females for them too.

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
Your other advisor may say yes. I will say no.

My reason is that I don't want to create hybrids and IMO they will crossbreed.

If you choose one altolamp species for a 75G you may find that more than one male will not be tolerated. Or you can try for a colony of altolamps in a 75G with 3 males and 6 or more females.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DJRansome said:
Your other advisor may say yes. I will say no.

My reason is that I don't want to create hybrids and IMO they will crossbreed.

If you choose one altolamp species for a 75G you may find that more than one male will not be tolerated. Or you can try for a colony of altolamps in a 75G with 3 males and 6 or more females.
OK so I can put the Red Fin Comp. in the 40 gallon tank or possibly the 240 gallon one since I plan to use the 40 gallon tank for grow outs.

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
When I have had an altolamp in a Malawi tank, their behavior made me believe they were not happy at all. But they did not die. Survive but not thrive.

I pulled them out and would not mix Tangs and Malawi again in the future.

I have also tried leleupi, shellies and trets. Will not repeat the experiment.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
When I have had an altolamp in a Malawi tank, their behavior made me believe they were not happy at all. But they did not die. Survive but not thrive.

I pulled them out and would not mix Tangs and Malawi again in the future.

I have also tried leleupi, shellies and trets. Will not repeat the experiment.
DJ so would you think they would thrive if I had the Red Fin Comp in the 40 gallon tank with shellies?
And then the 75 gallon tank for the Gold Comp with female Gold Comps?

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
Yes. Well the single red fin might not be thrilled. But better some shellie tank mates than Malawi tank mates.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DJRansome said:
Yes. Well the single red fin might not be thrilled. But better some shellie tank mates than Malawi tank mates.
I might throw in a female to make him happier. 8)

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
Fair risk it will not work.

30" is too small for a pair to go through the mating process, or maybe even live once a pair forms. 36" maybe...30" no.

Also the fish will not necessarily pair with one of each. If you want a pair you stock six individuals and let them choose their own mate, then rehome the rest.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DJRansome said:

30" is too small for a pair to go through the mating process, or maybe even live once a pair forms. 36" maybe...30" no.

Also the fish will not necessarily pair with one of each. If you want a pair you stock six individuals and let them choose their own mate, then rehome the rest.
So since I do not have enough tanks....then I should put the Red Fin Compressiceps back in the community tank when I get the larger tank...OR find a home for him which does not guarantee he will be taken care of.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
naturlvr said:
DJRansome said:

So since I do not have enough tanks....then I should put the Red Fin Compressiceps back in the community tank when I get the larger tank (tomorrow)...OR find a home for him which does not guarantee he will be taken care of.

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
I thought you liked the idea of him alone with shellies in your 30" tank?

I would do that or rehome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts