Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 40 gallon cichlid tank. I do 20% water changes weekly, all my levels are good and I am feeding them enough. For whatever reason, one of my fish won't grow! I got them all at the same time around 4 months ago and they were all fairly similar in size, yet the one will not grow. It is eating as I have watched it when I put food in. He also is one of the nastiest fish in the tank, and is usually the one nipping at my arm when I do water changes. Has anyone experienced this before and knows if it is unhealthy or how I get it up to speed with the rest of the fish? Thanks!

PS: his back fin has only recently been thrashed. I have a pair of jewels that laid eggs and he got too close to mama roughly 3 days ago and paid for it!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
What other fish are in the tank? We would usually recommend that a fish like the one you are asking about would be kept in a 75G tank or larger. Also that breeding pairs of jewels would not have Malawi as tank mates to avoid what happened in your tank.

I think the 40G 36" x 18" tank would be good for just the jewels on their own.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Everyone in my tank has grown except one yellow lab. I call her little mamma, she's held twice that i've noticed. But some fish that are only six months old are as big as she is, and she's like two years. For some reason she just stays tiny.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts