1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
From the picture it looks like the fish's natural coloring, but I'm not familiar with this species and I'm not sure I'm seeing what you're referring to,
but,
if I were going just by your description I would suspect Velvet--a parasite.
Here's how to check for Velvet:
Turn off the tank lights and shine a flashlight at the fish from different angles. Look for a talc-like coating on the fish's skin and fins. It may be gray-ish, red or yellowish. It will be ON the fish's skin, not in it.
Also: symptoms. Are any of the fish flashing excessively? Any fish tending to stay in a spot where there is a stronger current?
Are there any areas on the fish's body that seem to be rubbed off or red?

Let us know what you come up with.

Robin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shone the light on them and noticed that the along the top of all the afra's bodies had a golden tinge to them.

I just noticed this picture is very similar to my fish and has it also has a golden tinge along the top of it's body.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Cynotilapia&species=afra&id=401

They don't seem to be acting strangely, no rubbing or redness. The mostly hang out by the heater and stay out of the way of the dominant male... Flashing happens a couple of times a day and that is just a quick scrape. They may be doing that because they annoyed about the lack of hiding holes currently as I am waiting on getting more rocks for them.

Thanks,

Luke

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.