Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For one of my uni courses I have to deliver a five minute informative speech. I am going to do it on cichlids, but need to narrow that down. Anyone have any good ideas?
I've played with the idea of mouthbrooder....
Thanks!
:fish:

·
Registered
597 Posts
That is so cool! I have to do one of those soon too, maybe I'll do one on cichlids as well :)
The mouthbrooding thing is a good one. Or you could do a theme of "humongous and tiny" (i.e. the smallest cichlids and the largest cichlids in the world).
Hmmm, so many possibilities! I will think about it some more and get back to you.
Hopefully some other members have great ideas as well.

·
Registered
291 Posts
there was a piece on mutant planet about the evolution of cichlids and compared it to human evolution and how cichlids did it way faster than humans. i thought it was really interesting. maybe give information on how fast the evolution is and observing the lakes we are actually seeing evolution in action! :thumb:

I even think someone posted the links to the mutant planet videos on the video forum. I'm sure you can go even further with a little digging for info. Wait you only have five minutes??? Maybe another topic then ... :?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I think mouthbrooding can be a good topic and depending on how deep you can get into it, maybe expand that to a discussion of the evolution of spawning methods in the rift lakes. Started with substrate spawning and abandoning the eggs, then substrate but defending eggs. There may be species that substrate spawn but then use their mouths to move fry when threatened (the start of mouth brooding). Then full on mouthbrooding, and you can also explain how predatory catfish who were used to preying opportunistically on eggs and young fry have adapted to the cichlid's mouthbrooding defense by evolving parasitic spawning techniques a la synodontis multipunctatus and "cukoo" spawning. thats probably plenty (maybe too much, depending on how fast you talk and how detailed you get) for a 5min speech.

Are you allowed powerpoint for the speech? This is the sort of topic that would be much more interesting with pictures, and possibly difficult to understand without them for anyone not "in" the hobby.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there are so many good options.... i am worried about my time limit. i only have 5 minutes. i can use a projector to show some pictures, but i am only allowed 30 seconds worth.. i forget sometimes that not everyone knows what a cichlid even is.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Sorry for the off topic but, are you holding a cat by the scruff of it's neck in your avatar?? :lol: Probably not but that's what my eyes are converting it to, lol.
Also, I think mouthbrooding is a good topic, cover how some species will even scoop them back in when threatened.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTZ
no i can assure you it's a bag of fish food :) Dainichi to be exact.
now that you have pointed it out i can see it... might have to put a new one up here!
i think i am going to do mouth brooding. have any good video links?

Becca

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a perfect short clip showing how a mother stores her fry in her mouth! A diver must've taken this video because you can hear him breathing..

Here are also a few links to articles and videos about cichlids. These researchers go diving to view cichlids in their natural habitat and observe their behaviors. Maybe you could get some useful info from them. Being a marine biologist and a diver, I am envious of these awesome expeditions! They look very exciting!

http://www.earth-touch.com/result.php?i=EXPEDITION:-Exquisitely-coloured-fish-live-in-the-dark

http://www.earth-touch.com/result.php?i=EXPEDITION:-Cichlids-hide-in-grass-beds

http://www.earth-touch.com/result.php?i=EXPEDITION:-Cichlids-abound-in-Lake-Malawi

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that is perfect! nice and short, yet shows just enough.
thank you so much!!!

Becca

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We just got our marks back, the cichlid topic was a hit! Pulled a 98.8% on it, and was surprised by how many people took on an actual interest! I had three people walk with me to my next class to ask more questions about owning cichlids!
Thanks for the input!

:D

Becca

1 - 10 of 10 Posts