Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what type of lighting most people run in their African tanks. is the High Output lighting over kill? will it kick start algae blooms?

also do you use actinic bulbs, 50/50 bulbs or what. my current lighting is alright but i've seen others where the colors really pop and i would like to replicate that if possible
Thanks

·
Registered
688 Posts
I used the 50/50 bulbs and they were fine, but I recently switched to 6700K because I find that I have better luck growing plants. It gives a more yellowish light which a lot of people don't seem to care for. I only have p. acei and yellow labs and the 50/50 showed the blue on the acei better, but the yellow labs look the same.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My light setup is going to be the following.

48" T5HO Nova Extreme
1 56watt 10k
1 56watt 6700
2 56watt Actinic
3 or 4 blue LED's

This will give me 2 watts per gallon (55 gallon tank) of useful light for my plants and will also provide some actinic lighting which will be twice the amount of the either the 6700 or 10k so I should end up with a decent bluish tent and the Actinic won't affect the plants and cause any algae growth.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use one 24W 50/50 acitinic/10K in a 35g. Within reason darker is more dramatic for rockwork I think, and as I don't have plants I just need enough light for some algal growth for the Mbuna to graze on. Looks awesome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts