Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, please. Our otherwise healthy strawberry peacock cichlid a few days ago started turning in tight circles frequently (not all the time, but once every few minutes, sometimes a few in a row). Should we be worried, anything we should look out for? Eating fine. Tested the water = good. Did water change. Water at correct temperature. No other fish at all, nothing new added. Short video here (
), in case interested. I would appreciate any thought you might have?

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
It does look odd but I don't think it's anything to worry about. It does appear that he's doing the circles in the outflow of the power filter so maybe he's enjoying the flow?

How long has your tank been set up and how long have you had this fish?

Can you post the actual test results? Which test kit are you using?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Deeda. Using API Freshwater Master test Kit. pH 7.8; Ammonia <0.25ppm; Nitrite <025ppm; Nitrate ~20ppm (but we did a big water change afterwards yesterday). We've had the fish for about 9 months, in the same 30 gallon tank, no other fish. About 2 weeks ago added more cichlid substrate and also some cichlid "stone" caves purchased online from a well-reviewed source. Any advice would be well taken!

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
I did get your PM, no problem with communicating that way.

I find it a bit odd that you are getting a 0.25 nitrite reading on an established tank and the 0.25 ammonia reading may just be a fluke as some people seem to always have that low reading.

What is your normal water change routine including amount changed and how often? Do you use a water conditioner for new water and if so, what brand and how much you add?

How about how you clean your filter and how often? Do you see much dirt or debris in the filter media (will assume it's a cartridge type) when you clean it?

If you were to temporarily unplug the filter for 1/2 hour, does the behavior change or does he still swim in a circle?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts