Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

i have recently purchased a 6ft 7'' tank and i am really struggling on a design for my sump as i am limited to L = 50'', D = 12'' and H = 24''. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has any information how to go about this and what is the best filtration i can get out of this area, I kinda wanted a fluidised within this. If anyone can help with this it will be much appreciated

Regards
Neil

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well - the overall design of your sump should be pretty easy. Typically, you break it into three sections with baffles that force the water down through the media in that section then up and over into the next section. My sump is arranged: Mechanical, BIological, return pump - plus a carbon reactor.

So basically you want to stuff a bunch of floss into that first chamber where your water comes in - running socks? I'd recommend socks as it's easier to change those out than all the floss. The water will push down through that and into your biological chamber. The options are endless at this point. You could stick a ton of K2 media in there and roll it with a pump - just make sure and use some kind of a mesh or mesh covered egg crate to keep it from flowing through the rest of your sump.

Personally - I filled my up with EHEIM substrat PRO because I had a ton on hand. I then got a bunch of K2 and put it in a bag that floats on top.

I think overall, you want flexibility so don't go crazy with complicated baffles and stuff. Just keep it simple and you'll be glad you have all the room.

Also keep in mind backflow when you choose your baffle size. Don't keep so much water in there that you can handle the tank's backflow when you shut off the power.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had limited space under my 125 gallon home built stand. I built a trickle type sump using a 27 gallon tote. Inside the tote I used some of that egg crate light diffuser to make a divider, then on 1 side I have lava rock in bags, topped with scrubby sponges. On top of that is a 15l basin with holes drilled where the output from the tank feeds, over filter pads and a layer of sponges then drips over the bottom sponges. The lava rock is submerged. On the other side of the divider I have my heaters and pump, which is a 5000lph. I did the DIY fish guy overflow with a 3" pvc weir pipe and 1.5" drain pipe into the filter. The output from the pump is 3/4". (not sure why the 1 pic is upside down but if you click it it opens correctly)

20180615_105635.jpg

20180613_091427.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a similar dilemma setting up my sump. 180 gallon tank. I made the sump from two 20 gallon tanks and used connecting pipes inbetween. I'll post a picture tonight. Two 20 gallon tanks would fit in your space, they are 24"L x 12"W x 16"H.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! a lot of info here *** ended up going mechanical, bio and then bio and purigen then going into my return , should be a brill set up! will post a picture when up and running

1 - 5 of 5 Posts