Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about taking a ride today to the LFS and getting some of these cichlid stones to add for caves in my 55. Do you think that one pack of 15 would be enough for this size tank or do you think it would too few? I am trying to see how big of a pile just one pack would make or if you think it would be neccessary to use 2. My Mbunas are starting to get a alittle larger and the aggression is starting to show so i thought it I added these that it would give them more places to stake a claim and hopefully reduce problems in the future.

If anyone can post a photo of what one pack would look like to get an idea of how much of a pile it makes that would be great.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you go to the manufacturer's website, there's a picture of several stacked cichlid stones in a tank (under the cichlid stones page). Not ideal, since you'll have to guess the tank size (3' maybe?), but it's a start. If you do end up getting the cichlid stones, be sure to post pics.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just got home from LFS and got the 15 pack of them, unfortunately not gonna be able to set them up till after the Super Bowl tonight. Will post pictures after I figure out how I am gonna arrange them. Any suggestions? Stack them? Randomly place them around tank? Suction cup them to back? I hate making these kind of decisions!!! :?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm just a novice, but try some different arrangements and see how they look.

One observation: In another thread, it was mentioned that some Cichlids might be too large for the stones. Keep in mind that if you space them out a bit, you can also create some caves in between the Cichlid Stones.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have 6 in my 55, along with other little hidey-holes. Altho' I only have about 6 males. Had to rehome the male auratus the other day he had become a real a##hole and he had to go. But, what a beautiful fish he was. Anyway, I have also drilled small 1/2 holes in the cichlid stones. This is to help with water circ. and stuff. You can place them anyway you like. I try to make the entrances less noticeable, and now the stones are changing color with age. Many don't but I like them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I mix my Cichlid-stones with rocks that are easily available to me. I have only 3 in my 55 Tang tank and they are all used. I have abouyt 15 in other tanks. Space them around (but not under) piles of natural rock with openings viewable but not directly into the room. If you see fry you can snatch the Stone out fry and all. With this plan you could use 6-7 Stones in the 55g. In my experience the males often use the caves and tunnels near the Stones to keep an eye on mom and kids, where he feels secure and can dash out and attack interlopers (I like that word).

I assemble the native rocks to look like big rocks (they are lighter than 1 big one) using sealant and the inside of my assemblies look like catacombs. Inbuilding them I always allow for circulation.

I don't think that drilling the holes are necessary for circulation for one simple reason. Our little jewels of fish that occupy caves are genetically programmed to circulate water in low flow caves and IMO the need to do so strengthens the inate instincts for themselves and future generations. I guess I am an obsessive fundamentalist! My greatest concern was the collection of toxic gases uder the roof inside the stone, but I hav never moved a stone and had gas bubbles come out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts