Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been a much-discussed topic here but I had a few specific questions about cichlid stones. Right now in my 55g mbuna tank I am using clay pots. With the exception of two males red zebras battling each other, everything has been smooth. The pots have been working and the fish like to hide in them, but I was looking for something that appears more natural. I know everyone recommends real rock but I do not feel comfortable with that much weight in the tank. My girlfriend likes to clean and rearrange the aquarium often and it seems like too much of a hassle and worry. Just a personal preference I guess.

I have seen the cichlid stones in various threads and I think I want to add them. With algae and the holes facing the back, they look very natural.

Will any of the small or medium stones fit adult mbuna? I wanted to buy the 15-pack but it seems like a waste if 13 of the 15 stones are too small for my adult mbuna.

More importantly, do mbuna like to go in these things? I would imagine that my fish would enjoy them seeing how they utilize the clay pots I have in there now. If they get scared at all they retreat to the pots so I would think that they would do the same with these cichlid stones.

Just wanted to make sure my guys will fit in them before I drop $70. Thanks for the help! :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you have a local stone dealer, you can get river cobbles (1-4") and use silicone aquarium sealant to glue them in clusters. Thats what I have. It takes about 5 minutes to pull out the clusters, put them on a plastic garbage bag, and rearrange. Just be sure to give them at least 24 hours to cure! Most places will let you pick and choose the rocks, and they run about $5 for 35 to 50 pounds (each rock is about a pound). To make it even easier, you can "glue them" with silicone to 1/4 inch slate bases.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I bought my cichlid stones from the manufacturer. They have a website. You can pick and choose the stones you want. My 6 plus inches acei never used the the stones because even the large stones would not accommodate them. My labs did use them as did my bristle nose plecos. I like the stones and once they get algae on them they look quite real. I don't think I would buy the 15 pack, however.

·
Registered
441 Posts
my adult mbuna use both the medium and large stones. the dom males seem to pick the large stones with others using the mediums. my syno cats also use them. try mixing in some real rocks too. that will make them blend in perfectly. I have over 20 cichlid stones in my 55 and it looks and works great IMO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts