Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long do i have to wait after putting sand in my tank to put the fish in. i already have a very established tank just want a new look....hoping i dont have to wai too long. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
656 Posts
keep in mind that most of your good bacteria is housed in the substrate, when you change it you may get spikes in ammonia and nitrite. make sure you have a test kit and a bottle of prime in case you need to detox the water. otherwise you can add fish immediately

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im going to keep about 15-20 gal of the original water drain the rest and remove the gravel and then add the sand then fill with original water and top off with spicket water. add the aqua safe and hope for the best...i have like 20+ fish in a 75g tank. just dont want any to become floaters

·
Registered
656 Posts
The water contains little or no bacteria. It would be good if you could put 2-3lbs of your old substrate in a mesh bag and leave it in the tank for two weeks, but as long as you test the water over the next few days, detox and do water changes if necessary you should be fine

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so far so good, all the fish are still alive and actually a little more lively/mobile. don't know if its due to the rise in ph or less rock structure but everyone is moving around more. water is still cloudy but do-able

1 - 5 of 5 Posts