Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone uses cichlid rift lake salt from seachem or anything similar? Wondering if it has anymore benefits than just normal aquarium salt. I've read the rift salt has minerals that cichlids normal get from the rift lakes that help color and general health. Opinions?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I use Seachem Cichlid Lake Salt (in addition to epsom salt & baking soda) but only because my water is basically r/o water.

I heard that most public water supplies and/or well water already have sufficient mineral compounds. If that statement is correct then most people would only need to adjust their GH if needed, and possibly their pH if it is on the low side of 7.4.

For people using a public water source, I wouldn't recommend adding the Seachem salt unless you can have your water tested to see what minerals it already contains.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Test your water. Only add cichlid salt if your tap water is deficient.

Check the KH to see if you need additives. Then if yes, consider baking soda instead of purchased mixes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kh and gh ranges should I shoot for in a Malawi tank. Don't want to chase a parameter if I don't have to

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
I don't worry about GH...just KH. You want something above 4 and the reason is that a "good" KH keeps your pH stable.

Check your pH as well...8 is ideal but not necessary. A little lower is fine as well.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Do you use public water there where you live? I'm thinking up there chances are everything is fine with your water but you never know I guess. I'd do the normal GH, KH, pH tests myself; if the KH/pH was low I'd add baking soda, if the GH was low I'd have the water tested for mineral content before adding anything.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah my ph is 8 right out of the tap. In the 3 months my tank has been up I have had a constant ph of 8. No crashes. Just got a gh and kh test kit. Will test them today

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tested my tank today, kh was 8 and gh was12. Should that be sufficient or do I need any additives?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Jread002 said:
Tested my tank today, kh was 8 and gh was12. Should that be sufficient or do I need any additives?
If you have a 8PH, 8KH, and 12GH you are golden and very lucky.

My tap water is 7PH, 1KH and 1GH, so I am always adding 1 teaspoon of cichlid salt and 1 teaspoon buffer for each 20 gallons of water when I do a water change. After adding the buffer and salt I am almost exactly where you are. 8.2, 8 and 8.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Jread002 said:
No additives required.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Jread002 said:
I wish I had your water for africans. But my water was perfect for Discus when I kept them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great news. Thanks alot guys, been a big help.
Yeah my comforter comes from the finger lakes in central new york. They are old glacier made lakes. Deep, not slot of vegetation. I guess similar to the rift lakes in away

·
Registered
26 Posts
I live in the suburbs of NY. Water quality is pretty good since it comes from reservoirs upstate.

Before switching to RO, I still added Cichlid Salt to my water changes along with baking soda, and noticed a tremendous difference in coloration and overall health of my fish. Sure the water was probably mineralized, but the addition of salt was helpful.

Adding Purigen and Phosguard to top of canister finally got rid of diatoms (brown algae) that persisted well after cycling and have brought Nitrates close to zero with regular 25% water changes.

I rarely endorse, or get behind companies in any industry. However, Seachem is one of the best as far as water treatment products goes.

Now since most minerals are stripped out with RO, I remineralize the water with Cichlid Salt and buffer kh with baking soda while running UV.

My fish are thriving and the water is ridiculously clear!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts