Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was in Wal-mart tonight and I was checking out their fish as I usually do (no I do not advocate buying fish there and when you read on you will know why) and I noticed 2 fish going at it all by themselves in one of the tanks. I took a closer look and realized that one of them was a mother guarding her fry (which were piled in the corner) from the other larger fish, she was pretty beat up and my heart sunk when I saw how she was desperately defending them. So I went and got a manager and asked him if I could take the fry, I explained to him that if he left them in there, they probably didn't stand a chance, when he looked at me with a blank expression I told him to give me the net and I started fishing all of them out, and took the mother too. The fry (the ones that survived, I was scooping them as fast as I could and there were dead ones in the tank as well) are in a breeder net in my 10 gallon, I was going to put the mother in the net too but she seemed to be eating them while they were in the bag, I know some cichlids protect their young by carrying them in their mouths but I didn't want to take the chance, so she is also in my 10 gallon but not with the fry. She is pretty beat up but seems to be adjusting well. My big question is....I'm not sure what type of fish she is, the fact tag said parrot cichlid, but she does not look like any parrot I've ever seen.....can someone ID her for me and maybe give me some info on how to care for her and the fry, if she is indeed a parrot I'm going to nurse her back to health and give her to my lfs (who take AWESOME care of their fish unlike the place she came from) because my biggest tank right now is a 30 gallon and I know the parrots can get big and aggressive, I just had to get her out of that situation or she would have died defending her babies. :-? I can't post pics here because this is my first post, I will post a part 2 and try posting pics there.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Pink Convict, just like the people at the link suggested. There are articles in the library about convicts, but they are pretty easy to care for.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Was it the new tank setup those are maybe 2/3 the normal size of the old Wal-Mart tank setup. The tank setups disgust me to no end. I should know because I work at one. To be completely honest a small part of it's actually our distributors telling us what tanks to put what it. Our supplies are limited to weekend feeder rocks, quick cure, melafix, mesh filters, carbon filters, and biowheels. Anything else comes out of the stores wallet.

To be completely fair to the manager the only thing regarding fish required in the training is two slides in a computer based learning course about how to generally deal with service area's. Everything I know about fish comes from my own research and what the customers tell me about the fish.

The tanks themselves are transitional tanks not meant to hold any one fish for more than a week. Every tank runs and receives it's water from the same filter so you get ick in one tank it will spread to all of them and the pets department itself is low priority and pets being my neighboring department (I'm Garden Tools and Horticulture) I'm frequently over there because we have a supervisor and one associate for the department (it's supposed to be two but we're near the end of year so there isn't a budget to hire right now).

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too work for Walmart but my store doesn't sell fish. Personally I don't think they should be allowed to sell fish unless they give ppl actual training and not just cbls. And it is the new setup. There are 5 babies that survived. All doing well and the mother is at my lfs,she was doing very well in my tank but was very over protective of her kids and attacking my poor scissortails so she had to go :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
She was a good mommy then.

I agree that better training would be good. It's sad when the Department 16 guy knows more about fish than both the department 8 supervisor and it's only employee combined. They keep the tanks clean but usually I'm the only one that tries to medicate the tanks. The tropical side has ick so yeah. the bosses don't like it but i'm turning people to other stores in regards to the purchase of such things. Unless they have medical tanks or are prepared to infect their tanks, in which case i just point out what works and wish them luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts