Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I am new to cichlids, not new to fish keeping. Used to have 2x 150gals with angels, cory's, loaches, etc. Joined the navy, forcing me to sell my fish stuff, now I am starting with a 55gal setup I got off craigslist for $60! I have been browsing the boards for about a month, and have found some very clear-cut answer, though still a few unanswered ones!
Heres my stocking idea so far:

pair of GT's.
School of 10 or so Buenos Aires Tetras
Pleco
Yo-yo loaches.

How does this sound to the experts?!

On a side note, not sure I want a mating pair, and I am unsure of the M/F ratio and how many I should put in without a royal rumble going down?! thanks for the help guys!

Excellent site btw :thumb:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Tank size could be a problem for you. GT's get between 10-12" and 55 gal tanks are 48" by 12". So once full grown the GT will scrape nose and tail turning around and only be able to swim 4x his body length before reaching the end of the tank. You could grow them out for a while in there, as GT's have a reputation of a relatively slow grower, but eventually you'll want a bigger tank. I would suggest going with something smaller (convicts, firemouths... you could have a small paradise for a bunch of dwarf cichlids), but if you're set on the GT's go for it but plan on changing the tank in a couple years.

ps - angels are cichlids, so you're not as new to cichlids as you thought! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.