Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 1inch PBJD how fast do they grow and can i house them with a couple 2 1/2 inch frontosa until they could get enough size to go in my bigger tank

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just decided to put in a texes cichlid of similar size with my new pair of pbjd he was getting bullied in my 80gallon tank just wondering how fast will the texas cichlid grow compared to the pbjd and will the three be able to be introduced into the 80 gallon safely at any time i have 4in redhead
two 4in flowerhons
4in blackbelt
a breeding pair of pink convicts 2in female 3in male
2in green terror
7in burmese upsidedown catfish
two 4in bichirs 2 1/2in green terror
4 1/2in pleco

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes the fish listed are in the 80g.In the future i was hoping to house the texas and powder blue jacks in the 80g for awhile(looking for 200g)but for now they are in a 29g bowfront tank by themselves.The powder blue and electric blues are variants of normal jacks but more docile and i think alot more eye catching fish with the PBJD it has a black backdrop with opal,pearl, and blue spots wher as a ebjd is all metalic blue both are still relatively new(they where the runts of the broods and there for usually over looked)How big does a texas cichlid average and how fast will he get to that size compared to a PBJD and maybe a couple of electric blues (waiting on the shipment as i type)

·
Registered
228 Posts
i have never heard of a powder blue JD

and to second ur going to need to do something with that 80 very quick if ur fish are already 4in... bc at about 5-6 in is where all their aggression will come out full force

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pbjd are some of my favorite fish to me they are better looking than regular jacks and without so much attitude.I am going to change up my tank i have a 70g and 55g not in use and i think they are going to be new homes.I think Im going to start a flowerhorn tank in the 55 maybe put the pbjd and texas cichlid

·
Registered
406 Posts
I always thought PBJD and EBJDs were the same, just someone decided to call them different names.

Can you post a picture of your PBJD?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe an ebjd actually has what is called a blue gene and a pbjd is a nature occurance out of some broods they are the weeker smaller and slower growing of the brood and are usually overlooked from what i am told

·
Registered
79 Posts
cicklid said:
The pbjd are some of my favorite fish to me they are better looking than regular jacks and without so much attitude.I am going to change up my tank i have a 70g and 55g not in use and i think they are going to be new homes.I think Im going to start a flowerhorn tank in the 55 maybe put the pbjd and texas cichlid
Put them to use. Good idea. An Electric Blue Jack Dempsey is an EBJD whether it is called a powder blue, a galaxy and whatever other name they come with to sell it. No difference. If your saying they are the smaller and weaker ones then maybe they should have been culled.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The longer the tanks sit the less likely they will be used so might as well use them now before they end up gone.knowing the other tank is over stocked just hurried my setups.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How fast does a texas cichlid grow in comparison to a jd?What is a average full grown texas?Can they be tankmates to a jd long term?

·
Registered
308 Posts
everywhere *** read they say texas get up to 12" and jds get to 10" but u could be right if i could find the picture this guy had caught a texas cichlid that was at least 14" long in the wild. it was as long as a toolbox.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What would be the best mix of the cichlids i have housed in 80g?they are 4in redhead ,two 4in flowerhorns,4in blackbelt want to house with breeding pair convicts and 2 bichirs.what would be the best bet to build a tank with the convicts and bichirs in mind?can i get away with a pair of jacks with the convicts and bichirs?

·
Registered
228 Posts
well a 55gal isnt big enough for a texas alone really let alone a texas and to smaller weaker JDs ull just end up with two dead JDs

texas are very nasty fish

·
Registered
228 Posts
tank specs would be a good thing to let people know

now if its like a 75 gal spec i know a guy who had breeding jacks with breeding jewels by stacking rocks in the middle of the tank from front to back(i gave him the idea lol)....

but its a long shot to tell you itd work every time...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts