Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is bit of a lengthy story. I am a novice hobbyist, that has had many tanks along my years. Anyways i have a cichlid that jumped out of the tank "unknown" for how long. Can only confirm a least 2 hrs. Anyways i was ready to pick up a beautiful dead fish. :( But to my surprise it's gills were moving, i thought to myself this cant be. But as i looked again yup his gills moved. He was partially stiff, but not bad. I put it back in the tank and sunk to the bottom for a little while, i decided to see if it could move, and sure thing like a bat out of....yeah.. Then back to laying on the bottom and slowly over the next 3 to 4 hours it was swimming then laying....Got up this morning and wife said he was still alive. (High Five). I came home from work today and he isnt laying down much but on one side of it (i assume exposed side) has a build up some sort of white layer. I can add pics if needed. I added melafix to the tank about an hour ago as of this post. Is there any advice or knowledge of this happening with anyone... I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Isolation in hospital tank. Very clean water. Salt at 3 ppt. Seachem Stress Guard. Do daily 25% water change. Make sure that you use a mature filter.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mudkicker1 Sorry to report the poor guy didn't make it. Next time I know what to do. Thanks for your insight. May I ask exactly the ratio 3 ppt?

·
Registered
113 Posts
dwjpeters said:
Mudkicker1 Sorry to report the poor guy didn't make it. Next time I know what to do. Thanks for your insight. May I ask exactly the ratio 3 ppt?
Sorry to hear that. I have a digital meter to measure salinity. I recommend at least one heaping teaspoon per five gallons of water for 14 days.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I would cover the tank to prevent the jump. They jump a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts