Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've had my South African cichlids for about 4 years now in a 65 gallon curved tank and haven't had a single problem up until now. One of mine has been swimming funny as of late, and what I mean by this is he will be right side up near the sand bed with his tail fin in the sand, or sometimes he will start spiraling around but shortly after will continue to swim somewhat normal with a sort of crook in his body. My first thought was possibly a swim bladder issue, but he doesn't seem to have difficulty staying submerged. So my next thought was bloating, so I decided not not feed him for about 2 days which in turn did nothing (he has been eating throughout this entire ordeal, approx. 1 week) and I read that giving them spinach or peas can help them with the bloating, but he won't even come close to the produce if I drop it in the tank. I did notice the other fish had knocked over my rock-scape and his gill area looks like he has a crooked neck at times but I don't see any gashes or marks on him. He is remaining to eat normally but his swimming condition seems to be getting worse by the day. Also all his guns appear to be 100% in tact so I don't believe it to be a problem. He has yet to lose any color so I am ruling out most infections, also due to the fact he is eating normally. Like I said it's just odd how he is swimming and the lack of activity is not normal for him. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and if somebody does help I can take a video of him in the morning. Thanks again guys.

·
Super Moderator
40,729 Posts
If he is eating it is not bloat. Hopefully someone else will chime in...IME the swimming funny comes at the tail end of an illness and it might be hard to recover at this point...but we would need the symptoms of the earlier illness, and you state you see nothing else wrong.

What are your test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts