Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1641 - 1660 of 1738 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Maybe we'll have an old timer who remembers this fish.

Water Fluid Organism Fin Underwater

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
It's,
'Water Fluid Organism Fin Underwater'!
Well, that what the caption says when you hover over the picture with your mouse cursor at least.... :rolleyes:
-
Is this Guapote' displaying the 'other' silver/green coloration of Petenia splendida, (Red Bay Snook)?

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Oh wow.... I guess that qualifies me to be an 'old timer'?!! Yikes!
(And yeah... I AL:WAYS liked the green/silver colored ones best).
-
Hmmmm.... Was kind of hoping your Guapote' would be this one.
Water Vertebrate Organism Fin Fish

Whatizit?

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
BLAMMM!!! Take Down!
(And thanks for bringing this one back @BC in SK. This is the first time I've participated in this thread, since it started!).
Yer up next. :)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Time to give some hints. South American cichlid that belongs to a genus with 18 described species. A distinctive marking common to members of this genus is it's horizontal stripe that starts above the eye on the forehead and ends below the back part of the dorsal fin. Though this particular species often does not express this stripe fully.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Aequidens pallidus
Nope. Not an Aequidens species. Only 15 described species in that genus and it lacks the distinctive horizontal stripe from top of the eye to the back of the dorsal fin.
Another hint: Mystery fish is a delayed mouth brooder, as are the other members of the genus.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
More hints:
The fish comes from the Aguas Calientes river basin on the Parana river basin in Bolivia.
The fish is known to lay eggs on a leaf and drag the leaf to a safe location. Once the eggs hatch into wrigglers the female takes them up into her mouth and mouth broods them into the fry stage. The fish is thought to be a specialized molluscivore based on the shape of it's mouth and jaw, as well as finding crushed snail shells in the guts of dissected fish.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Bujurquina is the obvious genus, but it took a little searching to find the species. B. oenolaemus appears to be the species from Aquas Calientes.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Here's an odd fish that I spawned some years back.

Fish Sculpture Marine biology Water Fin

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I was hoping to get more people into this game so I have refrained from guessing. The fish is instant recognition to me and I think it should be very easy for anyone some what familiar with CA cichlids. I'll give it another day for someone else to get it before posting.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I’m terrible at ID but really enjoy reading the thread, I hope some more chime in!

1641 - 1660 of 1738 Posts