Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1621 - 1640 of 1738 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
stalefish83 said:
1: "Blue Acara"
You could call this fish a "blue acara" but of course we need scientific names. Rules on pg.1. Exception in rule #2 does not really apply.......all of these pictures are either of wild caught fish or pictures taken in the wild, so actual species is a known.
stalefish83 said:
4: "Green Terror"
No, this fish does not go by this common name. But of course we need a scientific name.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Well, time to give some hints. The only thing that really makes this difficult is that there are 6 pictures to identify. But as long as anyone can get one right, then it can be their turn. I'll use the remaining pictures next time.

One of these fishes does not belong.....not like the others. So that should be identifiable. Not a fish that would go by the common name of 'blue acara'.

One fish exhibits a trait that I believe is peculiar to that species, though it is a polymorphic trait. That one should be identifiable.

Only 4 species could really be called a `blue acara'. One species is not represented here:Andinoacara sapayensis. So that leaves only three. A 1/3 chance just by guessing!
I used pictures of the same species more then once.

One of the things I have often learnt from playing this game are some of the distinctions that can be made between closely related species. Sometimes from reading, other times from looking at these fish so much I notice something obvious. On few occasions they are almost 'iron-clad' , 100% distinctions, but more often, just general tendencies of one type over the other. After all, were really talking about darn near the same thing. So far, with 'blue acaras', I haven't come up with too much! :lol:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Can we go back to just guessing one photo at a time?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Aequidens Pulcher?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Well, somebody should be able to get this very easily. With the clues plus a couple wrong guesses, it's been narrowed down to one!
BC in SK said:
Only 4 species could really be called a `blue acara'. One species is not represented here:Andinoacara sapayensis. So that leaves only three. A 1/3 chance just by guessing!
This clue tells you it is NOT Andinoacara sapayensis and that there are only 3 remaining species it could be.
Both these guesses are incorrect:
Steffano2 said:
andinoacara coeruleopunctatus
beachtan said:
Aequidens Pulcher?
(Andinoacara pulcher)
That narrows it down to one :D Should be very easy!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Andinoacara Blombergi?

·
Registered
966 Posts
A. blombergi is part of the Green Terror clade, the missing name is A. latifrons. Of course, there's nothing in that photo that would specifically identify it as that species rather than pulcher, nor is there even any certainty that it is any of the four species mentioned. There are several unidentified/undescribed fish in the complex, and they are, for the most part, indistinguishable by hobbyists from pulcher/latifrons types. The group has poorly defined species, and needs the same kind of rework they did with the Green Terror clade.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I guess he's MIA? BC in SK - you wanna post a new one? : )

1621 - 1640 of 1738 Posts