Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a yellow lab cichlid brood and are now the proud tank parents of 15 lil' guys. We cant keep them for long as one of our Maingano's is now brooding. We lucked into getting (at least) three pairs of fish that mate so I have a few rookie questions:

1.) how young can you sell baby cichlids? We certainly cant introduce them to the main tank because our fish are all 3-4" long. Mom is out of the tank, obviously. Theyre prob about a month old or so.

2.) how do you price them out? Mom is a yellow lab, we arent sure who the dad is.

Thanks!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Jwana826 said:
We had a yellow lab cichlid brood and are now the proud tank parents of 15 lil' guys. We cant keep them for long as one of our Maingano's is now brooding. We lucked into getting (at least) three pairs of fish that mate so I have a few rookie questions:

1.) how young can you sell baby cichlids? We certainly cant introduce them to the main tank because our fish are all 3-4" long. Mom is out of the tank, obviously. Theyre prob about a month old or so.

2.) how do you price them out? Mom is a yellow lab, we arent sure who the dad is.

Thanks!
I have a local shop that gives me store credit for juveniles; the amount is negotiated and I am not greedy so I look to get about 25% of what they sell them for, although he gives me 50% for Demasoni since they always seem to be in demand.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
Welcome to C-F!!

What other species cichlids do you have in the tank?

The usual suggestion is to wait until the fish are about 1.5" to 2" in length before selling them as this gives them a chance to live for the next person. Prices will depend on the species and where you sell them.

Since you are unsure of the parentage of these fish, my suggestion is to just put them back in the main tank and let nature take its course.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
:( Agree, if you are not sure they are pure...let nature take it's course. Although if they are already a month old, they might be too big already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks everyone. I know mom is a yellow lab, and the fry look just like a bumblebee cichlid we have in the tank. Im assuming thats the dad, but i cant say 100%.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts