Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted - and my young 1" fish have grown 4-5x since. In keeping up with the tank, varying numbers of fish, and water testing I've set out to design an affordable yet safe and easy to use a digital monitor in place of everything in the API kit. I would like the device to use either a probe or be connected through the glass via magnets to a backlight screen on the outside of the tank - displaying with high accuracy the nitrate, nitrite, PH, and temp of my tank. Ideally, this would be displayed on a super simple dashboard - which could be pushed to the cloud to allow you to monitor these metrics with a straight forward app.

I would greatly appreciate everyone's input on this project to help make it better!

Attached is a google form link https://goo.gl/forms/cBRmwQtv0zCDCuMj2 - which will make it easier for me to analyze responses!

Best,
Knadams

·
Registered
690 Posts
Why? Once the tank is cycled you shouldn't have to worry about your ammonia & nitrItes parameters that much unless something changes IE: dead fish, adding more fish, power outage etc.

Your weekly water changes will keep your nitrAtes under control.

I feel bad but once my 125g was cycled I never checked the water anymore. I might have checked the nitrAtes once or twice just to make sure I was changing enough water but that was it.

Good luck with your project though and potential sales. I wouldn't pay for one personally.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sub-Mariner said:
Why? Once the tank is cycled you shouldn't have to worry about your ammonia & nitrItes parameters that much unless something changes IE: dead fish, adding more fish, power outage etc.

Your weekly water changes will keep your nitrAtes under control.

I feel bad but once my 125g was cycled I never checked the water anymore. I might have checked the nitrAtes once or twice just to make sure I was changing enough water but that was it.

Good luck with your project though and potential sales. I wouldn't pay for one personally.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Why spend the time with a weekly water change when in reality your nitrate metrics don't require a change for another week? How are you aware that you haven't been building nitrate levels over time and have old tank syndrome? Just some things I wonder about. And when I go to pay my water bill, I'd much rather know im changing water as needed rather than based on a pre set amount of time. I know I feed different amounts, and the waste created may very - same with when i clean the filters - more often or not the nitrate levels vary more than we most likely know. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
78 Posts
knadams said:
And when I go to pay my water bill, I'd much rather know im changing water as needed rather than based on a pre set amount of time. I know I feed different amounts, and the waste created may very - same with when i clean the filters - more often or not the nitrate levels vary more than we most likely know.
Seems counter intuitive to spend $100 on a controller that might save you $2 a month on your water bill. The break even point would be 4 to 4 1/2 years, and by that point most people have revised their tank anyways. In a planted tank where you're balancing Co2, fertilizers, etc. your system makes sense; in a very low-tech tank I think it might be more headaches.

While I'm not one who prescribes to doctoring water to match a certain "WILD CONDITIONS" parameter... Do you think rainfalls or conditions in the wild follow a "pre set amount of time"? Our fish can usually handle a decent range of conditions that any fluctuations in your water change schedule, filter cleaning schedule are not outright harmful to the health of the fish.

·
Registered
641 Posts
BratmanXj said:
knadams said:
And when I go to pay my water bill, I'd much rather know im changing water as needed rather than based on a pre set amount of time. I know I feed different amounts, and the waste created may very - same with when i clean the filters - more often or not the nitrate levels vary more than we most likely know.
Seems counter intuitive to spend $100 on a controller that might save you $2 a month on your water bill. The break even point would be 4 to 4 1/2 years, and by that point most people have revised their tank anyways. In a planted tank where you're balancing Co2, fertilizers, etc. your system makes sense; in a very low-tech tank I think it might be more headaches.

While I'm not one who prescribes to doctoring water to match a certain "WILD CONDITIONS" parameter... Do you think rainfalls or conditions in the wild follow a "pre set amount of time"? Our fish can usually handle a decent range of conditions that any fluctuations in your water change schedule, filter cleaning schedule are not outright harmful to the health of the fish.
Not sure how many people would go for this, but I'd buy it today for $100 or even more - if it was convenient to use & worked well. I'd love to have this type of device for my tanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Man I must be doing something wrong....everyone makes fish keeping like some huge tiedious challange.

Maybe I just get lucky. I change my water once a month tops! And it's been set up that way for years. The tank at my parents I set up 8yrs ago. 46gal bowfront. There are over 50 demasoni in it. They keep breeding dying ect circle of life. That water gets changed maybe once every two months.

I've been lazy with my tank at my house a 55 with 20-30 demasoni and 12-15 yellow labs. Still breeding ect. Granted both have hornwart I think that grows like weeds. Lights on pretty much 24/7. All I do is pull out almost all the plant and fill the water when it gets a couple inches low.

Worlds laziest fish keeper here as I don't have the time for all the hard work everyone else seems to think is needed.

·
Registered
424 Posts
SoDakJeep said:
Man I must be doing something wrong....everyone makes fish keeping like some huge tiedious challange.

Maybe I just get lucky. I change my water once a month tops! And it's been set up that way for years. The tank at my parents I set up 8yrs ago. 46gal bowfront. There are over 50 demasoni in it. They keep breeding dying ect circle of life. That water gets changed maybe once every two months.

I've been lazy with my tank at my house a 55 with 20-30 demasoni and 12-15 yellow labs. Still breeding ect. Granted both have hornwart I think that grows like weeds. Lights on pretty much 24/7. All I do is pull out almost all the plant and fill the water when it gets a couple inches low.

Worlds laziest fish keeper here as I don't have the time for all the hard work everyone else seems to think is needed.
I'm glad you have it that easy. It's really only an hour out of my week though, tops.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts