Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three juvenile cichlids in a 36 gal tank (2 yellow labs and 1 demanosi). I'm feeding New Life Spectrum 1mm pellets in the morning and spirulina flakes in the evening. Everything I read says to feed an amount they can consume in 30 secs to a minute. This is all fine and dandy, but I have a nice strong current in my tank and the food gets dispersed rather quickly so that it takes them a while to find it all. They certainly are not eating all the food within 30 seconds due to the required hunt, but I imagine in still water they could. I'm really undecided if I'm feeding them too much or not. So my question really is, has anyone actually measured how much food to feed a certain number of fish? (say for an arbitrary example 1/8 tsp for four fish or something of the sort). This would be useful as a starting point for newbies like me. Any thoughts?

Also, what things should I be looking for during and after feeding?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
A fish's stomach is the size of his eyeball. Why not decrease the agitation or at least turn off the filters while the fish eat? It's can't be good to fling it all over the tank and into cracks and crevices. :thumb:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts