Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im currently running a setup of mixed ram and comunity i have 3 species of ram mikrogeophagus atispinosa (bolivian) mikrogeophagus ramirezi(gbr) and electric blue rams i havce three of each consisiting of one male to 2 females in th tank i also ave juvenile platies X12 an l134 cpleco ared shouldered corydora a betta sewelia hillstream loach x1 oh and a mountain shrimp its a 100 litre tank im getting rid fo the platies out of there im just awaiting some growth from them i was wondering is there any species of good looking colourful dwarf cichlid i could now add to the mix of the tank once i remove the platies i would alo like t consider something hat is a fairly easy breeder i have considered maybe yet getting a few more electric blue rams im not completely sure abou adding anytthing yet though as im waiting on seeing if my lfs gets some reasonably priced l46 in stock any ideas ?? :-?

thanks would be very grateful for a reply

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know im over stocked and im taking my stock donw to jus the 9 rams and 2 plecs
atm i have a turnover rate of 9x gph so 900 litre per hou im using 2 fluvals an undegravel and a uv steriliser as welll as a couple of others e.g airator uknown came with the tank also im adding a 65 litre sump tomorow whihc i will set up with some lfuvals and eheiem powerheads im also gettin my uncles fluval g3 canister filter as he has fdecided to upgrade to the g6 so that should bump me up to about 10 or 11 times turnover and an extra 65 litres im also planning on upgrading my tank late on during the year to a 300 litre bowfront so i may yet come out of dwarfs and go inot a small group of malawis or alounacara firefish so for now im going to leave my tank as it is any upgrades i add i will keep you posted

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
See, I am one of these people that couldn't give a toss about turnover. A high turnover rate is useless if the fish you are keeping are under stress due the the high current running through the tank. Especially if there are no calm or "dead" areas for the fish to seek refuge.

Most dwarves live in the calmer areas of water ways, along the margins in amongst plants, driftwood, thick leaf litter and rocks, or in sluggish, small tributaries. You won't find too many dwarf cichlids in medium or strong currents.

The highest turnover in any of my tanks is 5 times an hour. Most of my tanks just run spunge filters. Canister filters and sumps do increase the volume of a system, but at the end of the day they do NOT remove nitrates and waste from the system. They remove waste particles from sight, which unfortunately many people confuse as a healthy system. How many times have you read a post saying, "I have crystal clear water"? Clear water and a clean substrate does not indicate low nitrate levels.

The main way to maintain a healthy system is to do regular water changes. Now your stock levels dictate how much water should be changes. If your stock produce a lot of waste and in turn high nitrates, then you need to up your water change percentage.

Now this post hasn't even covered whether your tank provides a suitable footprint for 3 trios of similar cichlids, which I highly doubt from a 100 litre tank. Nor does it cover the different requirements between the two ram species you are keeping. The different temperature requirements alone dictate that Blue rams should not be kept with Bolivian rams. Or the fact that in your original post you asked if there were any other dwarf cichlid species you could add to the tank, which you know is already over stocked.

There is more than type of over stocking. You not only need to look at bioload, but also compatibilty and how many territories your tank footprint can offer. The main stock issue is you already have too many bottom dwelling cichlids to even consider adding more dwarf cichlids.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my tnak is well set up to cater for them ayt the moment there a re calm spots in the tank around my rock area and there a slow moving areas in amongst the plants i do 2 water changes a week of 25% of my water i gravel vacuum and clean my flters too i also have a test kit to test for nitrates nitrites amonia and ph i test these daily and my highest reading of intrate i have ever seen in my tank was when iwas setting it up in the first week of cycling it rose to 40 at the time i had just the platies in that i have now given to my lfs so my stock has reduced my ciclids all seem happy and calm and thats why i was asking about adding more to see what anyones opininon was at the moment my tank is well balanced on nintrate and goes no hihger than 10 and if ti does ever rise to 10 i do a water change normally my ph only seems to rise if *** fed my plec cucumber or a plant leaf rots on my amazon sword i will be uploading my tank as soon as i have added my last peices of rock i know i have incorrect substrate fro rams but i do try to create a natural enviroment for them i will soon be upgrading the ram tnak to a 200 that a relative has offered me as he is coming out of fishkeeping i also have a 240g bowfront coming soon witch i will set up with alaunacaras pssoibly or geophagus so i ma now leaivng my tnak as it is may yet still reduce my comunity stock in the tank some more and get it down to just cichlids and a plec
my tnak is a weird shape its a corner table tank across the front it is 3ft an across the side it is 2 and a half ft

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Please, please, please learn to use punctuation and write in sentences and paragraphs. I gave up reading that, as I was getting a head ache trying to figure where one sentence finished and the next started.

Good luck in your future endevours mate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts