Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. It's been about 20 years since I've kept fish. Most recent were a pair of jaguar cichlids, my favorite. With moving and life changes, I hung up the hobby.

Now, my son wants to keep some convicts. I'm thinking about adding a rectangular planter to the top of the tank to aid in nitrate removal. I'm thinking about two options:

1. Use a powerhead mounted to a UG filter. The powerhead would discharge into vinyl tubing, into the planter located on top of the tank. Water level would be set at 1-2 inches via a pvc overflow pipe, which would discharge down into the tank. Plants would be some variant of philodendron in the planter. I'd have a screen to keep the plants out of the overflow.

2. Other option is to attach a HOT filter to the rectangular planter. The intake pipe would pass thru the floor of the planter, which opening would need sealing with silicone. Discharge pipe would be a PVC bung setup like the first option.

In either case, I'd plan to hide the heater in the planter.

Thoughts? I think it could be a neat setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found some ideas on the web, (King of DIY videos) which cover this pretty well. I think the UG filter may be overkill and less effective if the convicts dig (I suspect they will).

I think adding some crushed lava rock to the planter will help with biological filtration, too.

I think I'll give it a whirl with a maxi-jet powerhead.

·
Registered
449 Posts
mikesdak said:
I found some ideas on the web, (King of DIY videos) which cover this pretty well. I think the UG filter may be overkill and less effective if the convicts dig (I suspect they will).

I think adding some crushed lava rock to the planter will help with biological filtration, too.

I think I'll give it a whirl with a maxi-jet powerhead.
Sounds interesting; good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts