Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year I purchased 19 German Red Peacocks.

I have a 60 gallon tank that they are currently in, along with a little calvus that was supposed to be an inkfin, but I don't think it is, and a few pleco's.

It's a bare bottomed tank, so rather ugly, but my water parameters are always fantastic.

I would like to pick my best male, and keep about five females, and remove the others to another tank, because one, I would like to breed them, and two, from what I'm seeing, I don't think the most dominant male is really going to be the best color wise. They are all between 2.5 - 3 inches at this point, my best guess.

I think by splitting them into two tanks, it would allow me to see better colors on the sub-dom male and give me a clearer picture of his potential. My dom male is really pretty...if you like the brighter yellow and blue look. I was hoping for more red. My sub-dom male is smaller, and less clear but seems to be a ton redder.

My question is...with one 60 gallon tank, and one 45 gallon tank (plans for a larger, longer tank went awry) how many German red peacocks do you think I should do in either tank? I don't want to do so few that I cause aggression issues.

Thanks for all your input in advance.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If both are 4' just put 10 in the 60 and 9 in the 45. If the 45 isn't 4' then maybe 12-13 in the 60 and 6-7 in the 45.

They beauty of having two tanks and being bare is that fish shuffling is easy. You can start with the even split and then tweak it until you reach a good balance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts