Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm new here, and I've been researching large glass tanks (new). I have a 63" L space in my family room, so I'm looking at show tanks for African Cichlids (parrot Mbuna). I know I want to go with FX6's, a wavemaker, etc. but researching the tanks is what has me a bit stressed reading reviews on Marineland, Top FIn, Aqueon etc. I'm scared to come home one day to over a hundred gallons of water flooding my remodeled home lol. Thought I'd ask you all what large tank brands you like? TIA

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like marineland canister filters, but nothing forces you to get any canister filters at all. There are also hang on back filters and they are generally more bang for the buck.

The nice thing about my old marineland canister was that it was self priming so it was able to suck up water from the tub into the fish tank making water changes a snap, and it could be useful in many other ways too. Now my new marineland c220 is a nice filter but not self priming so it was more of a pain to set up, and it cannot be used for utility purposes at all. However it's still nice because they are versatile as far as media goes and it comes with a good default media kit for a startup aquarium though I would also add in ammonia remover at first for a new tank until it breaks in a bit.

I would stay away from fluval because everything is overcomplicated and breaks and everything is a big chore. I'd also stay away from cheap store brands like top fin and aqueon. A big canister also sounds great until you have to actually deal with it. If you want more filtration I would get more filters. A canister is nice because it adds flow to the tank, but I would just get one canister such as C220 or C360 and then the rest of the filtration can be HOB or sponge filters. I have 110 gallons or so currently and have c220 canister, emperor 400 HOB, a couple sponge filters, and a couple aeration wands. that is a good general setup that will work well for most kinds of fish.

As far as the large glass tanks go, I would stay away. Like the fluval they sound great until you have been dealing with them a few years. Immensely heavy, easy to break, fail for no apparent reason. Been there, done that. No thanks. If you want something over 100 gallons then acrylic is the way to go. It is more money but a tank disaster can cost a lot more than a tank does.

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Marineland and Aqueon both make quality glass aquariums and are the ones I am most familiar with owning. I've owned my 220G Marineland tank and stand for over 12 years with zero problems, the 30" high tank is a bit difficult to work in when full of water.

I've never owned an acrylic tank but they are popular due to their lighter weight compared to glass tanks though the top opening can be limited for access due to the design.

Since you are limited to the length of the tank for your room, you will probably be looking at a max. length of 60" and a width of at least 18" though if you can, try wider as it offers more footprint space for the fish as well as decorating with rocks and decor.

See if you can find a dedicated fish store near you so you can view and compare brands if they stock more than one.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You could go with Custom Aquariums dot com and get a custom made glass tank. The standard size tanks aren't expensive at all but you could have one made to the exact dimensions you want. Additionally, if you are concerned about quality, they let you chose the thickness of the glass for each individual panel. You can get up to 3/4" thick glass for all of the panels if you really want, though its not really necessary. If I were you I'd have them make me a standard 60x18x24 or 60x24x24 and I would have them upgrade the bottom panel to 5/8" or 3/4" tempered glass and then the front and back panels to 5/8" or 3/4" normal glass. It would be a lot more expensive than a standard tank made with 1/2" glass but you would never have to worry about it coming apart. All of their tanks over 75 gallon are guaranteed for life against cracks or failure.

FYI I do not work for them or represent them in any way. But I've read a lot about their tanks and read a lot of reviews and they seem to make one of the best glass tanks you can get.

Also, I don't recommend acrylic tanks to anyone. I just owned one and will never buy another one.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I vote for Aqueon.

·
2,088 Posts
Also keep in mind that with most things, you will only hear about the exceptions whether good or bad - the vast majority of owners are happy and just don't post because the tank works. Aqueon and Marineland must sell many 1000's of tanks, a small percentage of which will have issues. My guess is the majority of failures that occur can be traced back to some form or other of owner issue, rather than manufacturer defect.

I have had a top brace fail on a 150, the tank bowed, but did not break. The tank was ~10+ years old, and I had florescent lights across that brace the entire time; there is a good chance that this was a contributing factor. I have had both Aqueon (AGA) and Marineland (Perfecto) tanks over 100 gallons, and would not hesitate to buy another.

Yes glass is heavier than acrylic, but with a large tank, it is moved once or twice, so IMO that "advantage" is overstated. Two guys and a dolly can move tanks up to 180 gals.

·
Registered
449 Posts
susandettmer said:
Hi all! I'm new here, and I've been researching large glass tanks (new). I have a 63" L space in my family room, so I'm looking at show tanks for African Cichlids (parrot Mbuna). I know I want to go with FX6's, a wavemaker, etc. but researching the tanks is what has me a bit stressed reading reviews on Marineland, Top FIn, Aqueon etc. I'm scared to come home one day to over a hundred gallons of water flooding my remodeled home lol. Thought I'd ask you all what large tank brands you like? TIA
Sorry to get off topic, but, what is a parrot Mbuna?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts