Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
This is my first post in the Forum but I have been "lurking" Cichlid-forum" for a while now. This is by far the web site that has the most knowledgeable members.

I am a relatively "new" cichlid owner... only about 10 months or so.

Currently I have two HOB filters (emperor 400's) and one canister filter (Cascade 1000) on my 75 gallon African Mbuna tank.
Someone just gave me a Fluval FX5. Is there a specific reason to have an HOB filter in my aquarium (as oppose to only having canister filters)?
I would like to eliminate both my HOB filters and replace them with the Fluval FX5.. As I don't like the extra bulk of HOB filters on the back of my tank.
Fyi... the filtration I have now has done a really good job so far. I just don't like the look of my HOB filters.
Thanks to anyone that can help me :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I run 2 canisters on my tank without a problem at all.

A lot of people just run then because it is cheaper then buying another canister for re-dundancy (incase one fails), breaks the water surface for better gas exchange, and provides great mechanical filtration. If you already have the canisters just get a surface skimmer like I have (the Toms brand one) it is cheap, keeps the surface ultra clean and help introduce oxygen back into the water.

I have one mainly for Bio and the other is mainly Mech/Polishing and my water is crystal clear now.

A HOB is not necessary, just cheaper.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I should add that a skimmer is not needed. As long as your spray bar is moving the water along the top and have decent water circulation you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Just go with the FX5 and put the other away for safe keeping.

Use the media from your existing canister.

You don't need a spray bar, just make sure the jets are just breaking the surface of the water. That will be plenty of oxygen.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Glaneon said:
You don't need a spray bar, just make sure the jets are just breaking the surface of the water. That will be plenty of oxygen.
You might not need it but having it helps greatly depending on the tank. In my tank my FX5 spraybar breaks the surface almost across the entire tank (36" spraybar) and it flows down the front glass and rolls towards the back glass pushing all the debris on top of the sand towards the intake. My sand stays spotless between weekly water changes. Plus it cost under $20 to make and it agitates the surface alot better than the FX5 stock output nozzle did.

Just my .02. 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts