Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little bored with one of my 75 gallon tanks. I'm thinking about rehoming my current stock, do a new aquascape and add some new stock. I'm trying to decide on either a Rotkiel or a chocolate as a center peice fish. I've kept a few sevs in the past but never a chocolate. Any chocolate owners here? Are they similar to severums when it comes to tempermant and behavior? How are they with plants? I would love to see some pics.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Chocolates rule.....

My bigger one is 6-7" now... I got her as a teeny little half dead rescue, nursed her back.... Thought she was a 'he" for a couple years.... until she laid eggs this summer. Still not used to calling her a "her". :lol:

Just a very laid back fish.... very "chill", as the kids would say..... usually lurking just below the surface... nose-up, waiting for bugs. Great personality. It's just fine if one of the severums wants to hang out in her territory... she only chases them out when they start to display as if they "own" that territory.

Chocolates tend not to start trouble, but they won't get pushed around either. I have a pair of severums that occasionally try to grab some more territory in the 125g. The chocolate will stand her ground until the severums give up. She's even stood up to much larger Black Belt cichlids. Helps to have a big mouth when sizing each other up!

I've since picked up a couple more juvie chocolates... hoping to get a pair going someday.

I bet you could get away with a severum and a chocolate in a 75g.... for a good long time, anyway. A couple years at least.

-Ryan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts